Mixed Messages - Vista Updates and Ststem Restore.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by mikeody, Feb 13, 2008.

1. mikeody

mikeody

Has anyone come across these two before ?

I appear to be able to successfully download and install Vista Updates - or at least thats what several of the messages during the process and the message at the end of the install says. However when I afterwards look at my update history it shows that a lot of these very same updates have 'failed'. I am then notified via the tray icon that there are more updates waiting for me - the very ones I have just successfully [or unsuccessfully] installed !

I had cause to use System Restore. I chose a restore point and everything seemed to be going well until at the end Vista told me the restore had failed - couldnt find a file or something. Then, when I logged back into Vista I immediately got a message that my system had been successfully restored to the earlier point !

Anyone know who to believe ? More importantly in the case of the Vista Updates, is there anywhere I can look [apart from update history !] to verify which updates have or have not been installed ?

Thanks.

mikeody, Feb 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. mikeody

WAW8

I know of situations where doing a full restore using Acronis True Image breaks Windows Update in the process, but I've not heard of MS's own restore doing that.

You could try the stuff in the "pinned" post dealing with repairing Windows Update.

WAW8, Feb 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question