Missing memory? Vista now overuses memory consistently for no reason.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Thrystblade, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Thrystblade

Thrystblade

I'll make this quick, before this damn thing breaks again. I'm running Vista, on a toshiba laptop. I have disabled everything I can, including super-pregrap or whatever the hell it is, and the normal pregrabber. And yet the laptop is still running OVER the RAM limit and hanging for a few minutes...or just restarting itself. This happens consistently. What could be draining the memory? I've checked all the processes, and it's nothing in there...

I've repaired the startup programs, run diskcheck, everything. There's NOTHING THERE to use the memory, and yet it's still using it to the point of no return. Any ideas on what's wrong?

And no, I can't reinstall vista, because of the lame computer sellers who are ALWAYS too cheap to give you the OS disc.

I haven't recently changed anything. It did give me a blue screen of death when it first started happening....for about a half second, long enough for me to read something about a 'microsoft update' which I have already disabled due to their updates breaking my laptop. So...please help? I have 1gig of ram, a 1.7 dual core processor, whateversize hard drive, and a Vista home edition of some description.

Thrystblade, Jun 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Thrystblade

WAW8

I presume you've already done the disable-and-renable-startup-programs in MSCONFIG stuff to try and isolate the culprit?

Preinstalled machines always come with one or both of the following: (1) recovery CD or (2) recovery option on boot. Both of these will boot you into a recovery mode that will reinstall the Vista OS as it was when you first unpacked the machine. Vendors are REQUIRED to do one of these as a condition of their licensing agreement with MS.

1GB of RAM is really undersized for Vista. You need 1.5GB or, better, 2GB to get decent performance. With only 1GB, you need to look into ReadyBoost to use a USB memory stick to add memory and boost performance.

WAW8, Jun 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Thrystblade

Thrystblade

Yeah, I disabled pretty much everything. After that, I freed up more memory, and I discovered that, after the RAM stopped the computer, it now became a problem of the HARD DRIVE.

For some reason, it stops working, period, whether idle or in use. Sometimes it can be an hour or two, sometimes just a few minutes. Is there any way to fix it?

And as for the startup....sure, I have the startup repair, but nothing else. There was no reformat disc with the preloaded vista. I'm Australian, so out computer providers are cheapo *******s. And now I've found out that a laptop that cost 1500 Aussie dollars didn't even come with the recommended amount of ram for the operating system. Yay. And now the hard drive is going, and since the guys are so cheap, there's no way I can find to fix it...

Can anyone help? I'm out bush, so I can't exactly take it to the nearest computer shop. Which is 500 miles or so away. :\

Thrystblade, Jun 27, 2009
  4. Thrystblade

WAW8

Check your power settings. Sounds like your drive is being put to sleep to conserve power.

You can generally download a disk checking utility from the drive manufacturer. So, find out what brand drive it is, go to their website, and if they have a disk checking utility, you typically download that and burn it to a cd, to boot from that and check your disk.

As to the memory amount, just like not providing 15-cents worth of plastic (A Vista DVD), they won't throw in enough memory either. Just recently, I got 1GB of laptop memory for $24 (USD), so, at least here, it's going real cheap now.

WAW8, Jun 28, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question