Missing entries in right click menu and not responding errors.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by toink, Jul 5, 2007.

1. toink

toink

most of the time, my computer stop responding, and its just not the usual not responding, when i right click on an icon on the desktop the "open" button cannot be found, same with the folder, so i can't access the folders, any ideas whats happening?

toink, Jul 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. toink

WAW8

Can't help without some specs. Tell us about the Vista version, the model computer (if you bought it), the motherboard, processor, memory (if you built it). Is this a new problem or has it been there all along? Is this an upgrade to Vista (from XP) or is it a new machine with Vista on it?

WAW8, Jul 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. toink

toink

Im using the specs below:

INTEL DQ965GF - core 2 duo 2.4ghz

2 Gb Corsair RAM pc800

320Gb Seagate SATA 2

Using Vista Ultimate

i think it has something to do the explorer.exe messing with the memory. when the problem occur, i cant run neither open anything, when i right click on an item, some properties were missing, been happening most of the time

toink, Jul 7, 2007
  4. toink

kingofnexus

Did the PC come with vista on it new?

If you think it could be memory related run a memory test - type in the start menu 'Memory Diagnostics Tool' and press enter. Follow the instructions and let it do its thing, it will tell you if there is a problem with your ram.

Also make sure nothing is overclocked in your computer.

kingofnexus, Jul 7, 2007
  5. toink

cyclic

That sort of inaction can be caused by using a non admin account with severe restrictions, check your settings that your logging in with.

cyclic, Jul 7, 2007
  6. toink

toink

im not using a limited account.. tried checking for memory error, and it passed with flying colors, no errors found, i think it happens when i use too much resources..

toink, Jul 7, 2007
  7. toink

toink

seems like my explorer.exe is the one causing problems.. X_X

toink, Jul 8, 2007
  8. toink

AmericanNightmare

Not sure what is causing the issue but and iknow this sounds obvious but have you simply tried system restore or F8 and booted to last known good configuration or into safe mode? This may not "fix" the problem but may make it easier to track it down. Alternately if your system came with a recovery disk or OEM copy of Vista etc. you can insert that and use the repair my computer option may work may not.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 8, 2007
  9. toink

toink

offline files, i like "work offline" in IE ryt? i think my os is losing connection with hard disk or something? its kinda weird but when i finally able to right click on something on my desktop, i got a sync failed...

toink, Jul 9, 2007
  10. toink

AmericanNightmare

offline or online makes no difference unless your were connected to some sort of network server and getting sync failures. I tend to agree that it most likely has to do with restricted privileges you not using a limited account not withstanding you could have severe file corruptions causing your OS to behave as if you are restricted i will ask again have you tried booting into last known good configuration or sytem restore? If not i strongly suggest you restore to a time previous to the problem occuring and if that is not an option booting intolast known good. You need to tell us what you have tried to do as far fixing the issue so those options can be eliminated then we might be a bit more helpful.

AmericanNightmare, Jul 9, 2007
  11. toink

toink

i found the culprit, it is really the explorer.exe, thus, restarting it, will solve part of the problem, any ideas on how to restore a fresh explorer.exe aside from formatting?

toink, Jul 13, 2007
  12. toink

AmericanNightmare

Try running sfc/scannow from command prompt. This should find any corrupted files and replace them. There is a command-line tool you could also use regsvr32 but it is a more lengthy and involved process. Try the first option i gave you and if it does not work we'll go from there.I feel i should tell you though that if you have a virus that is causing this behavior which is just as likely the only way topermanently get rid ofit is by running some sort of boot time scan or using a Vundo fix/removal tool as this most likely that sort of Trojan. I <U>strongly suggest you do so </U>or the problem will not go away most likely.

Here is a good Vundo tool there are others almost all are free i know Symantec has one as well -

http://www.atribune.org/content/view/24/2/

AmericanNightmare, Jul 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question