missing but not deleted files

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dontbesojumpy, Jun 17, 2009.

1. dontbesojumpy

dontbesojumpy

hi, i'm running vista home premium--i created a new folder to back-up all my video files on my desktop. there are some 60 gigs of video in it. as i was dragging more files to the new folder, it said "preparing to" do something i didnt see because it was just a flash, now that folder is missing.

i cannot find the folder searching in any way i know of, and i can find some of the files i know were in it, however it shows them as being located in the OLD file location previous to me moving them to the new folder.
    when i try to open them i get an error message.

now, some of them, when i hit "open file location" just opens my desktop, but not hte file, folder or anything meaningful.

i cannot run system restore because for some reason i have absolutely no restore points.

finally, i do not think all the files were deleted because my hd shows the space as still being used. 60 gigs is noticeable. all 60 gigs of that space is still showing up as being used.

so...????

i'm at a loss here...

dontbesojumpy, Jun 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. dontbesojumpy

WAW8

Were you backing up the file "to" your desktop, or "from" your desktop.

If the first, that's a bad idea. You should back up files either to a separate partition (your desktop is inside the Vista OS partition), or to an external device.

System restore most probably won't get your files back because it's designed only to back up the OS system files and the registry.

You would need to get a third-party data recovery product like Recover My Files , and even then, you would need to connect an external drive to hold the recovered files.

WAW8, Jun 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. dontbesojumpy

dontbesojumpy

i was grouping the files "to" my desktop into a single folder instead of having 10 or 15 all over the place, after which i was going to back the new single folder of all my videos onto an external hard drive.

4. dontbesojumpy

dontbesojumpy

and again, i'd like to stress the folder was 60 gigs and has not been deleted from my c: drive.

so the files are somewhere, but when i search for them it will only find their old location, not the new, secret location that they randomly went to.

i think the data recovery software wouldnt find their current location, would it? since they are safe and sound someplace hidden? i thought data recovery was for deleted files only.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question