Minor problems after supposed virus removal?

Discussion in 'Security' started by mmc5311, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mmc5311

mmc5311

A few hours ago, I noticed some spyware on my laptop (Windows Vista Repair, to be exact). I ran Malwarebytes and Spybot, which have worked nicely for me in the past, deleted the detected items, restarted, and ran them both again.

My problems associated with the spyware (Vista Repair pop-ups, wallpaper hi-jacking) are gone but I've got a few new ones.

1) Getting redirected on the internet. I didn't even notice it until I tried to go to the Vista Forums at vistax64.com (because I already had an account there) to ask about one of my other questions, and was redirected. It also happens when I try to access 2-spyware.com, where I read up on removing Vista Repair. It worries me a lot, because internet re-directions have only really happened to me before as a result of a virus.

2) My folders are out of whack. My Account (and all those listed under it: Documents, Downloads, Pictures...) is listed under Desktop. When previously, I could have sworn Desktop was listed under My Account.

Also, when I click on My Account, none of those subsequent folders appear there in my account folder. They are listed on the left hand side, when I expand My Account, and I can access them and all, but they don't appear in the folder.

All in all, I'm a little worried that I replaced my old problem (Vista Repair) with some new ones and I'm not sure if I'm better or worse off than before.

Help?

Thanks, guys. You're the best.
    - MMC.

mmc5311, Jun 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. mmc5311

clifford_cooley

Can you login to safe mode?
    Do you have a system restore point?

clifford_cooley, Jun 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. mmc5311

WAW8

More often than not, the redirection problem is due to a "root kit" infecting your PC.

I've fixed this several times (on different PCs) -- always using the same approach:
    1) Go to the Kaspersky site
    2) Look for the TDSS killer utility
    3) Download that to a USB stick
    4) Copy that to the infected PC -- and run it

It will search for "root kits" and (in every instance where I've used it), will find and remove them.

Typical AV products apparently are not able to do this because such infections can block their execution.

If the PC is still infected, you can also download a Rescue CD image from the same site, burn that to PC, and then run it -- to disinfect the PC. Since that runs outside of Windows, the malware is unable to block its execution.

WAW8, Jun 29, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question