Minor problem with my new Gateway

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Ludington, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Ludington

Ludington

About 1 month ago I bought a new Gateway GM5472 Media Center PC. This is also the first time I've used Vista so I'm still a newbie at learning everything. BUT, I've been having a start menu problem. Every time I restart my computer, it is not saving my recently used programs.When I use a program it does appear in the start menu as normal, but is gone after a restart. Upon restart all I have are four programs that appear.

Welcome Center , Windows Media Center, Windows Media Player & Windows DVD maker.

I've selected the Store & display list of recently installed programs, so I don't understand what I might have done. I also have room for about 12 programs so I'm not out of screen space. I've done some tweaking with the Tweak VI program but I haven't changed anything with the start menu.

Gateway GM5472 - Media Center PC

AMD Athlon 5000+ Dual Core

Nvidia GeForce 6150SE

4GB Memory

Ludington, Sep 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Ludington

Jason

How long have you used vista for? Vista has a stored set of recently used programs which have a designated count which if not exceeded will not expire. Thus you need to access whatever program you want to appear in that list so many times more than one of the defaults in over to overide it.

Jason, Sep 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Ludington

Ludington

I've used Vista for about a month. I've had this problem for a couple of weeks now. If that's the case, then it should clear up before too long.

Maybe by chance I accidentally messed up something in the registry it's not a big deal. I'm somewhat nervous of getting into the registry anyway. I can live with this.

Thanks for the help. I'll have one more minor problem I'll get to later tonight.

Ludington, Sep 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question