Might upgrade cpu

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by James88, Aug 16, 2007.

1. James88

James88

Hello, I just got Vista and I was wondering should I install it with my cpu being a Intel P4 3.0ghz clock speed and 800mhz bus speed or should I wait for a dual core cpu? I will be using it for gaming mostly.

James88, Aug 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. James88

Jason

I've heard that Dual Core is not very helpful in gaming as you really are not multi tasking.

For gaming is more cpu cache, cpu clock speed,amount of ram and ram speed.

TheP4 3.0Ghz should begood forgaming if you couple it w/ a couple gig's of fast ram. Then againI don't game on a pc so I don't really know from experience.

Jason, Aug 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. James88

kingofnexus

Dont waste your money upgrading your CPU to another single core. Best bet is to save up and get a new motherboard and dual core CPU. New games use both cores (supreme commander NEEDS two cores to run at more than a few frames per second when things get hectic). Dual core futureproofs yourself (as long as you get a amd X2 or intel core 2 duo - alot of intel dual cores are rubbish, only the core 2 line are fast).

kingofnexus, Aug 16, 2007
  4. James88

James88

Thanks for both of your help.

James88, Aug 16, 2007
  5. James88

AmericanNightmare

Agreed, Core 2 Duoas far as dual cores goon the Intel side. On the AMD side i would go with either the X2 5200+ or the X2 6000+ simply because of the larger L2 cache (1MB x 2)as opposed to the rest of the X2 line that have a smaller 512 x 2. Or perhaps an Opteron dual core also having the 1MB x 2 cache and slightly better stability and voltage/temp. tolerances.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question