Microsoft: Vista wireless access could drain laptop batteries

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

Users running Windows Vista on laptops may see batteries draining faster than they expect, Microsoft said in a warning, because some wireless access points aren't configured to take advantage of the new operating system's Wi-Fi power-saving mode.

In a recent post to Microsoft's official Vista blog, senior product manager Jason Leznek spelled out the company's last-minute decision to change the default power setting of wireless adapters to "maximum performance."

"Test results from Microsoft and our customers show that some Windows Vista beta users experienced connectivity problems when connecting to public Wi-Fi hotspots," wrote Leznek in his post. "In many cases, the root cause of the problem is access point or router hardware which is not compatible with the 802.11 power save protocol."

Jason, Jan 9, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

Camride

I want to add a caution to this post. I'm not sure yet if this is directly related but I figured I should put a warning anyway.

About a month after installing Vista the battery in my Dell is almost completely dead. Now I'm normally not hard on my batteries at all, I cycle them pretty often and don't just leave it plugged in all the time. But, for some reason now my battery lasts all of 30 minutes. I'm going to call Dell about this and see if they have any ideas(and to get a new battery). I don't know what would cause the battery to crap out all of the sudden, and I really hope it wasn't Vista that did it, that it was just a crap battery(as it never lasted as long as it should have when it was new, usually about 2 hours max when most last closer to 3).

I will post back up if I find out why it happened or if I find anything else out.

:)

Camride, Jan 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

MafiaLord91

It may just be the Dell. I have had so many problems with Dells

PSU has died

Ram (both sticks have died)

It wont take the drivers for the Intel onboard graphics

Floppy has died

Laptop

Stick of ram has died

hdd has died

MafiaLord91, Jan 24, 2007
  4. Jason

WindozBaby

I've had a very pleasant experience with dells. My desktop was bought about 2 years ago and runs great. My laptop was purchased I don't know how long ago but it ran windows 95 to give you an idea. other than me stepping on the power cord(which I had to ghetto rig because it broke) everything was great up until the hard drive died, but it lived it's life well beyond what I had expected.

I just got my new laptop from them about a week ago and it's great so far, zero problems.

WindozBaby, Mar 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question