Microsoft Says Vista Sales Strong

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

More than 20 million copies of Windows Vista were sold globally in February 2007, the first month of sales since its widespread consumer release.

That is significantly more than the 17 million copies of Windows XP that were sold in the first two months following its release in October 2001, Kevin Kutz, a director in Microsoft's Windows client group, told eWEEK in an interview on March 26.

"These sales figures reflect global sales from retail, PC manufacturers and the Express Upgrade program, and indicate that we are on track to more than double the initial pace of sales for Windows XP, and for Vista to become the fastest adopted version of Windows ever," he said.

PointerRead more of eWEEK's recent interview with Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer here.

While Kutz declined to break down the numbers by region or even for each of the six Vista editions, he did say that sales were strong across the globe and that many of Vista's sales came through people buying new PCs.

"Sales of the premium editions were also strong," he added.

These sales figures were compiled by Microsoft based on sales reports from its retail and PC manufacturers over the period, as well as from the Express Upgrade program.

But Microsoft-Watch is reporting that the numbers just do not add up.

"By every reasonable measure — PCs and retail boxed sales — Microsoft's numbers simply do not add up to the 20 million figure in one month," it says.

However, some Microsoft hardware partners, such as Dell, are seeing strong interest in the premium versions of Vista.

"Since the launch of Windows Vista, Dell consumer customers have overwhelmingly chosen premium versions of the operating system that enable them to have a richer experience with music, video, photography and other computing applications they choose," Neil Hand, the vice president of Dell's Consumer Product Group, said in a statement.

Microsoft is expected to disclose more regional and version sales details when it releases its quarterly financial figures in late April.

Some analysts have said that the new anti-piracy and validation tools that Microsoft is shipping with Vista and Longhorn Server will help ensure there will be little corporate uptake of these operating systems in 2007.

Kutz did acknowledge that, historically, there tended to be a rush of sales immediately after a product's launch, which varied according to the time of year.

Jason, Mar 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

WAW8

I don't want to start an arguement, but I've been using Vista since the early days of LongHorn alphas, and I've yet to experince the "Wow" they claim. OK, there's some cool things about it, but there's some really serious problems with the whole "upgrade experience" -- problems that MS, after decades of doing this, should have been able to avoid.

So, lot's of people bought Premium versions --because, the basic version sucks! That's like a new car dealership offering vehicles in basic version (no audio equipment), and premium version (with audio). It's unlikely a dealership would brag about its high level of Premium sales since practically no one will buy a new vehicle without some kind of sound system.

Also, 20 million "units" shipped does not mean 20 million "sales". I regularly shop at a retail computer store chain and they have had a display or Vista OEM packages. The display, after several months now, is still 3/4 full. I've talked to the sales people and verified that they've not been refilling the display. They've also told me that there are lots more packages in the back. MS is probably counting all of these packages as sold when, from what I've been told, less than 1/4 of them have actually sold.

The other thing they're not counting is the "downgrades". Been reading a lot on the forums lately about people "downgrading" their Vista-preinstalled PC to XP, either because the new PC just doesn't work, or because they really wanted XP and couldn't buy a new machine with it. Since they can (apparently) get a free version of XP from MS in the process, I wouldn't be surprised if MS is count each instance as two sales -- 1 for Vista, 1 for XP.

I know that Balmer's rhetoric is "sales talk" -- that's his job. I don't deny them their satisfaction. My real concern is that MS's happiness with the Vista experience will manifest itself as a general lack of interest in fixing the problems -- problems that are receiving a lot of comments in the MS forums but no real results from MS.

WAW8, Mar 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question