Memory and Vista

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by gforceman, Aug 21, 2007.

1. gforceman

gforceman

Hey peeps , i have a VistaUltimatemachine with 512 mb ram , removed the 512 and added 2 -1 gig sticks now it doesnt boot it just reboots over , OR it comes up with a blue screen and stated a memory management probwhen i add the old back it Boots hmm my Mobo is a ASUS P5GD1-FM/S Celron 3.2 gig any help would be great !

gforceman, Aug 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. gforceman

AmericanNightmare

Sounds as if you either have a bad stick of RAM or incompatible RAM. Your board supports DDR400 memory and could be quite touchy about handeling DDR333 or lower (although it is unlikely it would not be backwards compat.).If it is cheap high density RAM from eBayor some such placeASUS boards will not generally accept such memory. There is also the possibilty that you purchased ECC/registered RAM which most boards not made for servers or higher end workstations will not accept you need non-ECC un-registered (un-buffered memory) try one stick of the new stuff at a time see what happens.

I can't imagine this being a Vista problem at all almost certainly it is a hardware issue.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. gforceman

gforceman

forgot to say that the memory is Simple tech PC-3200 CL3 1GX16 Currently i am using Kingston 512m PC 3200 AND wheen i first installed it it ran for 10 min then i got the blue screen saying a memory managment prob

gforceman, Aug 21, 2007
  4. gforceman

AmericanNightmare

Ok so it's not el cheapo high density stuff which is good and it's not ECC registered also good so we are down to it most likely being a bad stick have you tried them one at a time yet?

AmericanNightmare, Aug 21, 2007
  5. gforceman

gforceman

yes same problem with both the other sticks ( kingston ) works my mobo is capable of 4 gig it posts fine when OS loads blue screen evn in safe mode does the same

gforceman, Aug 21, 2007
  6. gforceman

cyclic

Are there any exact error numbers or fault addresses given on the bsod ? if so can you post them.

cyclic, Aug 22, 2007
  7. gforceman

MrMagic

In case you haven't tried, I have an older PC that will NOT recognize memory changes until and unless you got into SETUP mode. For some reason it does not autodetect the memory change until setup mode is entered and saved. Then the machine takes the new memory and boots right up.

Just a suggestion.

Steve

MrMagic, Aug 22, 2007
  8. gforceman

cyclic

Gigabyte used to all be like that until fairly recently.

cyclic, Aug 22, 2007
  9. gforceman

AmericanNightmare

Excellent insight Steve. Sometimes simply clearing the CMOS will get things right as well.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question