Media Smart Extenders

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by bearman512, Feb 26, 2008.

1. bearman512

bearman512

Just curious which extender is best? I have read all the C-Net reviews but can't say I trust them. Please give me the lowdown from experiance.

Regards Berrett

bearman512, Feb 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. bearman512

Jason

Are you asking about media center extenders? For the price and compatibility you can't beat an Xbox 360. My media center pc runs Vista Ultimate, and I use my 360 to extend it. The 360 is real easy to use and have a nice interface. You could even use an original Xbox as well.

Jason, Feb 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. bearman512

bearman512

I don't own an xbox but am considering. That being said a standard xbox requires a network antenna, does the 360 need one as well? I hate to shell out over $400 for a gaming system when I already have a old PS2 that serves me well. I don't mean to sound like an old fart but I would primarily be using for movies stored on my Vista Premium Desktop as well as music. Thanks for your input and please give me more info about using the 360.

Regards Berrett

bearman512, Feb 27, 2008
  4. bearman512

Goodmane

I've only tried the one, the Linksys DMA 2100 (you can get a 2200 for a bit extra with built in DVD player)

I'm delighted with my 2100. Easy to set up. Works great. It has pre-n wireless support, HDMI inputs (for futurecompatibility)and also SD TV support through composite / s-video / component.

I have mine set up through s-video on an old28" SD TV but it's still brilliant!

1. It plays Vista recorded TV files, DVR-MS(hardly anything else can do this natively)

2. Cheaper than XBox 360, comes with wireless built in, and a remote control

3. Completely silent (360 is noisy in operation)

It's also very small, in a good way!

Goodmane, Feb 28, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question