Media Center

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by hsquared216, Nov 23, 2010.

1. hsquared216

hsquared216

I am trying to use my Media Center with my Comcast cable to watch live tv. I am not using a box. I am connecting directly from the wall. I have tested the connection with a regular tv and should be getting the basic channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.). No matter how I configure, the low number channels are fuzzy and the digital channels say "no TV signal detected". When I go into "Edit Channels" and then "Auto Select", no channels are detected.

I have Vista 32 bit and I updated to SP2 hoping that would fix my problem. The card is HP ExpressCard Digital/Analog Tuner. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

hsquared216, Nov 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. hsquared216

WAW8

I don't use Comcast, but do use Cox Media -- so the principles are probably the same.

Cox media signals come through coax cable -- which then connects to a cable box provided by Cox. There is no coax connector on my TV, but even if there was, it would do no good because they "scramble" the signals to prevent theft. Without the cable box, hooking up to the coax cable will do you no good. You MIGHT be able to get the "lower channels": which (I'm guessing) are NOT scrambled, but you won't be able to get any premium channels.

To watch TV on a PC, you need a TV tuner card -- which has a coax connector into which you plug the cable from the wall. So, does your Media Center have such a card with such a connector?

Also, the TV networks converted to digital-only broadcasting a while back, thus, the TV card in your PC has to be a Digital one, not an Analog one. If it's not Digital, it won't be able to process the signals.

WAW8, Nov 24, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. hsquared216

hsquared216

Thanks. I was only expecting to get the low channels as I have in tv in my kitchen connected to the wall with no box. I also tried using the cable box and get the same result, fuzzy channels. I can get channels using my antenna. They are in the 1000s. For example, channel 2 is channel 1021. I do not get the 1021 channels when connected to cable. I am still very perplexed.

hsquared216, Nov 24, 2010
  4. hsquared216

hsquared216

My PC was a mess and had been for some time. So I bit the bullet and installed Windows 7. The Media Center is much better and works now.

hsquared216, Nov 28, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question