Many Windows Updates Failing, followed by trouble booting at startup.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by hiliary, Jan 14, 2008.

1. hiliary

hiliary

so, i've had multiple problems with my computer, i'm on the verge of going to send it back, ontop of the sound not working any more, i can't seem to fix it and no one has responded to my posts, now some windows updates are messing with my laptop.

it's a dell inspiron 1420, with windows vista home premium, 32 bit operating system

everytime i go to attempt to download the new windows updates (which are set to download automatically), my computer downloads them fine, but when I go to turn on my computer next, i end up having to restore it back to the factory settings. its quite annoying

the files that wont download are KB941644(security update for windows vista), KB943899(update for windows vista), KB943411(update for windows vista), KB943302(update for windows vista), KB905866,(update for windows mail junk e-mail filter).

any help at all is appreciated! thanks :)

hiliary, Jan 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. hiliary

WAW8

Advice depends on how much work you want to do vs. how long you want to live without the machine. If it's still under warranty, Dell will undoubtedly be able to repair it for you, but they will most probably reimage it -- meaning that you will lose EVERYTHING on the machine, period. And, you will be without the use of it for as long as they take to fix it. that timeframe depends on your support agreement with them.

There are known problems where the windows update infostore gets corrupted and it can't perform anymore updates. I can look for that info, but it's going to be a fair amount of detailed, complicated work.

It might be easier to just back off your files and have Dell fix the machine.

Your call.

WAW8, Jan 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. hiliary

hiliary

thanks for your help, but i think im just going to send it back and force them to fix it for me, so many things have gone wrong with it, the sound doesnt work now,and the problems have no end! thanks for your help though!

hiliary, Jan 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question