Manually make a vista 64bit back up CD

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by rpinney01, Jan 26, 2009.

1. rpinney01

rpinney01

Hello,

I just recently purchased a computer that comes with Win Vista 64bit already installed. the backup/recovery CDs on the other hand are Vista 32bit. I was told to burn a back up cd. What files do i need to burn and where can i find them in order to make a 64bit recovery CD?

Thank you all for your help,

Rob

rpinney01, Jan 26, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. rpinney01

WAW8

Not sure how to answer your question because you're actually referring to three completely different things ... but don't feel bad, this is typically the case.

The three different things are as follows:

1) Recovery CD: One or more CDs (or DVDs), either supplied by the system builder, or burnable through a utility, that will restore a machine with Vista preloaded to its original state. Wipes all files, settings, programs, and partitions (except a recovery partition) from the hard drive. Note: Can NOT be used to repair an existing installation (unless the OEM has added that option to a menu).

2) Repair CD: A CD that can be used to repair a damaged Vista installation. You boot from this CD and select the Repair option to correct the situation when the bootloader gets damaged or corrupted. Often referred to (in error) as a "Recovery CD". Note: can NOT be used to install or reinstall Vista.

3) Backup: One or more CDs or DVDs that contain either data (e.g., files and settings) or an image of a partition. The first type is generally referred to as a "file backup"; the second as a "full backup" or "image backup". The first can be used to restore damaged or removed files and/or settings; the second is used to restore a full partition.

As to creating these ...

1) Done by the machine supplier. Are specific to the make and model of the machine. Have no details on how to do this.

2) Built into the Vista DVD and the Anytime Upgrade CDs -- both supplied by MS. The Neosoft forums have some Torrent links you can use to download an image and burn it to CD.

3) You create these yourself, using some form of backup utility.

WAW8, Jan 27, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question