Manage Vista Partitions - REALLY ?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by daArch, Nov 12, 2007.

1. daArch

daArch

OK, I've been on this quest for two days now, searching all over the internet. I wonder if ANY body has the answer.

The other day my new computer (Dell Inspiron) came with a 320 gig HDD. Yes, it has the annoying EISA configured partition of 55 MB (EDIT 11/15 just caught mistake, edited from GB to MB) but that's not the big issue.

Another partition is Drive C and allocated with 288 GB and has the OS on it. Only 22.9 GB being used.

The last partition with 10 GB is drive D (recovery).

I want to take a BIG piece out of the C partition and create new partitions.

Using EITHER the Disk Managment tool OR diskpart.exe I am ONLY allowed to shrink C by 128 GB. So after using either, C is 159 GB and the new partition is 128 GB. And many reports around the internet say gparted don't work neither

I want C to be around 30 GB - 50 GB

Sure I could BUY Partition Magic 8.0 for $70, but this is ONE TIME reallocation. That's a little pricey for a one time shot and I do not support Symantec

HOW CAN I REPARTITION MY HDD ??? (oh, gparted don't work either !)

daArch, Nov 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. daArch

WAW8

As to Gparted not working, how are you running it? The preferred way is to burn the bootable SystemRescueCD, boot from that, and then launch any of several partitioning tools, Gparted included. The latest ISO image version is 0.4.1 and can be downloaded from the following site:

http://www.sysresccd.org/

Other products you could try include Disk Director (from Acronis) and Hard Disk Manager (from Paragon). Both provide downloadable trial versions -- but they may both be "limited function" -- don't know.

WAW8, Nov 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. daArch

cyclic

When you right click the C: drive bar image in disk manager and select shrink the screen that comes up is tellinh you the maximum values you can shrink the drive to, if you remove the figure that there, about 128Gb you can enter say 31547 (about 30G) or at least whenever I've used it that's how it works, so you can shrink the volume to what you like as long as you don't shrink it more than 128Gb, that leaves you your unassigned space to create a new partition.

you get 'total size before shrink' 190771 (random figures just for example)

'size of available shrink space in Mb 83715

'enter the amount of space to shrink in Mb 83715 (this is highlighted, select a figure below this)

'total size in Mb after shrink 107056 (this will increase depending on the figure you use were 83715 now is)

Then make you new partition.

cyclic, Nov 13, 2007
  4. daArch

daArch

isn't that what I said?

Before shrinkage (as George Castanza would say) C was 288. I AM ONLY ALLOWED to shrink it by 128. NO MORE than 128. I am NOT ALLOWED to make a new partion bigger than 128.

EVEN THOUGH only 23 GB is being used on C and 265 is not being used, I can only reallocate 128 GB to unassigned space.

that's just F'ed

and it makes one wonder about continuing with an OS that can not be tweaked into something WE want.

Heck, you buy a new car, but you are allowed to replace the floor mats, the tires and even the wheels. !!!

Do I sound frustrated? Tired? P.O.'ed ?

daArch, Nov 13, 2007
  5. daArch

cyclic

Sorry I misunderstood, there is still an explanation though, the partition has to allow for the page file and MFT and other bits like recycle space and restore files etc; so it calculates the minimum size allowed based on the files currently on the partition, it's not like your installing to it fresh so it can allow whatever you specify, as for your car mats it is exactly the same if you think, after all they wont fit if they are too big will they !

cyclic, Nov 14, 2007
  6. daArch

daArch

Good one ! Point taken.

Still, it is frustrating that 159 GB is being demanded. My son just got a lap top with Vista pre-loaded, and his whole hard drive is less than that. I'm in a quandry why it has been decided for me that I must allocate so much space to operate the system properly. I just feel like I have less control over this OS than any previous MS product.

Has then Golden Age of home computing come and gone ???? Or will Vista truly take US (the user) to new heights ?

daArch, Nov 14, 2007
  7. daArch

cyclic

I can understand your frustration after all Vista along with just about all the office and image software you could need fits comfortably on a 30 Gb partition and that's leaving 25% min free for defragging. If you can get hold of a copy of Acronis 10 trial and if you still get a fully working version you may yet get around it.

Acronis 11 just release CLICK for trial download page.

Acronis makes an image which excludes all the free space and makes a note of the pagefile and the like so they dont get copied. When you come to recover that image you can change the size of the partition it goes on, it will suggest the size the original partition was but you can (like in partition magic) drag the right handle down to minimise the thing and I'm more than willing to bet it will go a lot smaller than the Vista manager.

So have a look for Acronis true image and if its an all working trial (it used to be) make an image of the partition to another drive (duh !) then go to the image right click it and do a restore back to the same place but with a reduced partition size. If for some reason it fails you'll still have the image to restore from again, I have to say though Acronis TI is one of the fairly small number I think worthy of buying, so I do along with Diskeeper pro and a few other chosen utils.

cyclic, Nov 14, 2007
  8. daArch

WAW8

DaArch:

If you check, you'll see that yesterday, I responded with questions about GParted, a suggestion for a bootable CD to use to retry it, and a couple of suggestions about free downloads that might be able to let you resize your partition the way you want.

You haven't responded to the questions and, apparently, haven't tried any of the free downloads.

So, how about trying to fix the problem -- instead of ranting on about Vista.

WAW8, Nov 14, 2007
  9. daArch

daArch

First, WAW8, upon your and a number of other suggestions around the net, I did download and burn to disk gparted 0.3.4.10. When I started it, it showed me a strange disk configuration. There was the expected 55 MB EISA partition, then the 10 GB D (recovery), then the newly shrunk C at 159 (shrunk with disk manager), and then a small 1MB unallocated space , and then the newly formed (with disk manager) partition of 128 GB. That small 1MB unallocated space was throwing up a road block and I am not willing to experiment trying to merge it until I know gparted better. I'll have to play with it on another machine with a spare HDD to feel more confident. Sorry if you feel I ignored your suggestion, but I did try and was not ready to take a chance with something that was unfamiliar. And, FYI, I am trying to fix the problem. But I WILL rant at the same time because this SHOULD NOT be the chore it has turned into. I am reminded how ME was a pain in the rear; that OS remained on my computer much shorter than Vista has. So I think I am being darn patient and open minded. But that's MY opinion.

NOW, cyclic, that sounds like a doable solution. I have already downloaded the free trial, burned a rescue disc and an image of the drive. Still I am a tad nervous, and I do not have any spare SATA drives hanging around on which to test. I may go buy a small one to "play" on and then use it for future backups.

Thanks for your continued suggestions

I will upgrade to 11 when I have decide to keep Vista. Otherwise my present version will work with XP.

daArch, Nov 15, 2007
  10. daArch

WAW8

DaArch:

Sorry if I came across as overly critical. Didn't know you had tried some of my suggestions.

However ...

I've been using Acronis True Image (ATI) since version 8, and version 10 is know to have problems with Vista -- even though the vendor claimed otherwise. The main problem, which they appear to have fixed in V11, is that Vista OS partitions restored from v10 images, will not boot properly. You have to insert the Vista DVD and do a "repair" before you can boot into Vista. The problem had to do with partition alignment -- Vista made one presumption, ATI made a different one. The Vista repair "fixed" the partition alignment.

So, if you're going to use ATI, I strongly suggest you get v11 and make an image with that -- especially if you don't have a Vista DVD lying around.

That's also why I suggested downloading Acronis Disk Director v10 -- it "should" allow you to resize your Vista OS partition without going through the pain (and risk) of backing off and then restoring the partition. It comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.

And, no, I don't work for the Acronis product vendor -- I just have used their products for several years now since I abandoned Symantec.

WAW8, Nov 15, 2007
  11. daArch

daArch

Yes, I agree about ATI. One of the best. If I stay with Vista, I will be upgrading to 11

daArch, Nov 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question