Make XP computers show up in Vista's Network

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Jason, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Jason

Jason

<P nd="1">The new Network Map in Windows Vista allows you to easily create a map of all computers on your network and see how they are connected. This works by using the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD)protocol that is only part of Windows Vista. <P nd="2">To help users of mixed environments of both Windows Vista and Windows XP, Microsoft has released the Link Layer Topology Discovery Responder for Windows XP. This will make your Windows XP computers show up in the Network Map in Windows Vista.

<SPAN>This package contains the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) responder. The network map on a computer running Windows Vista shows a graphical view of the computers and devices on your network and how they are connected by using the LLTD protocol. The LLTD responder must be installed on a computer running Windows XP before it can be detected and appear on the network map. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. </SPAN>

<SPAN nd="3">Click here to download the updatefor Windows XP SP2</SPAN>

TweakVista.com

Jason, Mar 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

SixString

Is the LLTD responder included in the SP3 download? I tried to download the LLTD, but it told me I had a newer version and didn't need the download.

(I haven't had a chance to try the other suggestions for network problems yet. Hopefully, with this forum, I'll get it working this weekend.)

SixString, Oct 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

hector

hector, Oct 26, 2008
  4. Jason

SixString

I uninstalled the Norton trial that came with my Vista laptop, and installed McAfee which is on all my other PCs, and it them seem to play nice together, now.

SixString, Oct 29, 2008
  5. Jason

dennis-96gt

yea if you have sp3 youll have to download the hotfix from MS to intstal the link-layer topology discover responder component onto the xp pc's. found this out the hard way couple days ago. i also had to disable the firewall in vista and get rid of the norton internet securtiy trial. thankfully im very well guarded behind a router so im not worried about software firewalls.

dennis-96gt, Oct 30, 2008
  6. Jason

WAW8

Glad to hear you were able to fix it. When we've heard about these problems, it has very often been due to some third-party firewall product, often Norton or Comodo.

WAW8, Oct 30, 2008
  7. Jason

bassfisher6522

Another thing to consider when networking vista and xp together is problematic firewalls. Such as CA firewall and Norton firewall, these tend to not play nice in the networking environment.

bassfisher6522, Nov 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question