Low spec PC - Vista Home Basic quite ok

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by Olde Farte, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Olde Farte

Olde Farte

Hi,

I have tried about every OS there is since about 1980 starting with DOS in many forms, CP/M, the old Z80 chip machines, Amstrads, 286's, 386's, Windows from Win 2 to Win 7 Home Premium and many Linux Distro's. (Win 7 lives on another PC here, a real godzilla). For fun I use a ten year old Dell GX270. Not bad specs, 3Ghz processor but only 1Mb RAM and on board video.

I have the full set of Vista from Starter to Ultimate collected over the years,

For my low spec Dell, Vista Home Basic is as fast as XP and once Vista Home Basic is "tweaked", disable unused services etc and run a few good "tweaking" apps (Vista Smoker Free), cloud based anti-virus (Panda Cloud Anti-Virus Free) Vista HB can be a little bit faster than XP.

Is it the perfect setup, probably no, but it never fails. There is, to my mind, no perfect OS. That is the nature of things.

The system requirements for Vista Home Basic are, (lifted from reviews)

■ 800-megahertz (MHz) 32-bit (x86) processor or 800-MHz 64-bit (x64) processor
    ■ 512 megabytes (MB) of system memory
    ■ DirectX 9-class graphics card
    ■ 32 MB of graphics memory
    ■ 20-gigabyte (GB) hard disk that has 15 GB of free hard disk space
    ■ Internal or external DVD drive
    ■ Internet access capability
    ■ Audio output capability

Vista is a whiz at finding drivers, that is great.

If any members have an old low spec PC gathering dust, perhaps consider Vista Home Basic. Yes, it is out there in various pirate iso's but activating and legality are a matter for the user.

Olde Farte.

Olde Farte, Nov 9, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Olde Farte

Termingamer2JD

Luckily I had a desktop Vista Home Premium PC stored under the stairs and after about half an hour of use I am liking it.

I agree about drivers being easy to find and they are highly compatible.

Termingamer2JD, Oct 21, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question