Low fps with a NEWER Nvidia card using Vista...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dizz, Nov 9, 2006.

1. dizz

dizz

Hello, I'm not sure if this goes here or in the Drivers Section, but I recently purchased an XFX GeForce 6200 graphics card to replace my older GeForce FX 5700 Ultra. When I ran WinXP Pro with my older card I was getting a steady 60FPS in Team Fortress Classic and a solid 30-35FPS in Counter-Strike Source. Now I'm getting 20-30FPS in Team Fortress Classic and 7-15FPS in Counter-Strike Source. I'm just curious to know if it's the operating system, or perhaps the vista drivers (yes I have the latest drivers installed 96.85). Windows Aero works flawlessly and I'm really happy about that, but not happy about the low fps in my games. If it is VIsta I will definately re-install WinXP until better drivers come out, but if it's something else, please induldge me. I know I'm not supposed to be getting crazy high fps in my games with this card, but it's definately supposed to out-perform my other one. Thanks in advance to the replies.

dizz, Nov 9, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. dizz

blackhat

aero slows the graphic card down. the best is to turn off aero and start the game over. if the framerate is still low it's maybe the best to keep windows xp.

vista is almost in it's final state. but the drivers are still far from ready. those vista beta's are for testing purposes only. if you're a gamer you should stay to xp till vista comes out and the drivers are finished. but even with better driver vista is still slower than windows XP

blackhat, Nov 10, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. dizz

kingofnexus

Running full screen does not use aero so the UI is nothing to do with the FPS that one should experience. I have an ATI x1900xtx and although the drivers aren't as good as Xp's, currently never more than 5ps should be lost playing a game fullscreen.

I only get a 500 point difference between XP and Vista score in 3Dmark 06

kingofnexus, Nov 11, 2006
  4. dizz

snowroom

deactivate the vertical syncronisation on the nvidia control panel which u can find in the systemcontrolpanel -> additional **things** :D and try again!?

snowroom, Jan 8, 2007
  5. dizz

Jason

Just needs better drivers, give it a few months.

Jason, Jan 9, 2007
  6. dizz

oddlike7

Make sure you have WDDM drivers installed. Not XDM. Keep in mind, latest isn't always best. 3rd party driver support in Vista is a bit lacking at the moment, but this is exactly what happened with Windows 2000 as well. Give it a month or two, and better drivers will be released. Also, most people don't know this, but most XP drivers will work in Vista if you know how to manually install them. XP drivers aren't WDDM though, so you still may experience a performance hit.

oddlike7, Feb 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question