lost all documents and files please help!

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by diamondave73, Jun 22, 2008.

1. diamondave73

diamondave73

cut a long story short-i turned on my laptop 4 days ago and my profile was gone and it opened with a temp one, all files and settings were missing, i did a file/settings transfer and saved all data to an external drive, because there wasn't enough free space on the hd i compressed the hd and reinstalled xp,this formatted the hd then the save fileswern't recognised so i reinstalled vista and i still cannot find my documents or photos.

please help!

if this helps whilst transfering usingwindows easy transferit said Applying c:\found.ooo\dir0000.chk\documents

for each file??????

diamondave73, Jun 22, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. diamondave73

WAW8

Don't have a miracle cure for you, sorry, but what I can tell you is that "found" directories are typically created by CHKDSK when it finds files in a corrupted file system and needs to create directories to hold those files.

My guess is that your file system got corrupted, which "ate" your profile and other files, and CHKDSK attempted to recover the files. Could be a failing drive; could also be a bad drive-interface driver. I had a Windows Update cause the second form on my machine and trash my filesystem.

If you had backed off your files before the corruption, you could then have recovered them later. But since it looks like they were already corrupted, all you can do at this point is attempt to recover them individually, or grab some file recovery software and see what it can do. I'm not aware of anything that Vista has that will help you in this regard.

WAW8, Jun 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question