Losing IP address???

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by marksa1458, Feb 27, 2011.

1. marksa1458

marksa1458

When my computer starts it connects to the internet without any issues - it connects with ip address 192.168.1.2, subnet mass 255.255.255.0 default gateway 192.168.1.1 all works well until you walk way from the computer for a couple of hours - When you go to launch the internet there is no longer any connectivity unless you "repair" the connection and then everything works fine. If you check the ip configuration when the computer won't connect the ip address is 169.254.66.128 Subnet mask 255.255.0.0 and the default gateway is blank.

I'm using Verizon fios and an Actiontec Router with Windows Vista

Any ideas, why my computer is losing it's IP address? Thanks.

marksa1458, Feb 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. marksa1458

WAW8

I presume you're talking about a wired connection, right?

That being the case, try the following:
    1. Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type adapter, and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.
    2. Right-click the connection, and then click Properties. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    3. Click the Networking tab, and then click Configure.
    4. Click the Power Management tab, clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.

WAW8, Mar 3, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. marksa1458

marksa1458

Yes it is a wired connection.

Unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue. The issue started right after we upgraded our fios software if that helps at all.

Thanks,

marksa1458, Mar 9, 2011
  4. marksa1458

westcoast

When it happens again, try the following:
    Start the command prompt and run IPCONFIG /RELEASE and then IPCONFIG /RENEW
    Check if your IP address got restored to the original 192.168.1.2.

westcoast, May 23, 2011
  5. marksa1458

team9

Hi

From the description I come to know that you are using DHCP. Your ISP must be disconnecting connection, if you don't use for few hrs. That's why you need to come back and repair it (And you get a new IP). So to fix that problem do this each time you leave your pc/laptop.

1. Open Command prompt by typing CMD in search
    2. Type --> ping www[Dot]google[Dot]com -t

Replace the [Dot] with .

Keep this command window open until you come back.

team9, Jun 3, 2011
  6. marksa1458

okayo0

This could happen, if you're running a personal firewall on your local computer which blocks the dhcp.
    So a refresh to the routers dhcp server never happens, you'll run into the lease time for the ip address, given by dhcp of the router, and loose the ip, because you computer can't answer to the routers request for dhcp.

okayo0, Sep 8, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question