looking for "Vista-incompatable" hardware

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by PJ6, Aug 21, 2007.

1. PJ6

PJ6

I am going purchase new computer hardware soon, and I'm concerned that, while I will never run Vista, the motherboard (and possibly other components) will still have built-in hardware support for DRM. I heard that hardware vendors had to convolute their underlying architectures to support Vista, translating to performance and stability hits. Is is possible to buy a current technology hardware, such as motherboards, that specifically leave out Vista support?

Paul

PJ6, Aug 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. PJ6

AmericanNightmare

What an interesting question. While much hardware not specifically designed with Vista will work perfectly with it regardless of any modifications by the manufacturer. Case in point my older 939 board ran Vista perfectly without any tweaking at all as did all the periphials.

However i can't see whyany companywould be manufacturing a Socket AM2 or LGA775 that would expressly be designed too exclude Vista (unless it was a Mac or Mac hardware) however if your don't want to use Vista most provide drivers for XP. As far as companies convoluting thier hardware to be compatible with Vista this while i don't exclude the possibilty of it happening seems unlikely as it would usually be a driver issue in which case they would just provide updated drivers........

Iam sureyou couldfind an ealier AM2 or LGA775 and graphics card etc.that does not have any specific Vista support but you better get on it quick as most manufacturers in spite of a lot of things you might have read are rapidly turning out boards,graphics cardsand so onthat are Vista Certified/Ready/Capable etc. and the older ones are rapidly going by the wayside.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. PJ6

PJ6

Well... maybe I was under a false impression. I thought they were making DRM deeper than just the OS... cant remember where I read that now.

OK, well I won't worry about it then.

Thanks,

Paul

PJ6, Aug 21, 2007
  4. PJ6

AmericanNightmare

Oh i am not discounting it completelyonlytrying to relate that even with older (older beingrelative) equip such as my old 939 boardthere were no issues with Vista at all and in mypersonal experinceany Vista related hardware issue can almost always be solved by a driver update rather than more drastic measures. You very well may have read this and it very well may be true with certain boards etc.

You'll have to excuse me if am sceptical about a lot of Vista compat. talk i find on the web as i have read some much that is just outrageous in regard to Vista such as an article by the ex chief editor of PC Mag. on his stepping down which was the biggest piece of tripe i have seen in awhile and even the Mac fans dismissed as ill informed.

Like i said i doubt you will have any problem with any of the new boards or thier architecture if your using XP.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 21, 2007
  5. PJ6

WAW8

Regarding Vista-specific hardware tweaks -- the degree to which you'll encounter that depends on the machine you buy. A new Tablet PC, with built-in fingerprint reader, and trusted computing, will have tweaks for using Vista features. A Vista-Premium Capable machine will have graphics hardware that will support Aero. A brand-new machine might also have hardware support for Vista Ready Boost. It also might have a video card installed that handles DX 10.

However, of these, only Ready Boost (which has been summarily dismissed as a waste of hardware except for drastically under-powered machines) and DX 10 need Vista to work. They will work equally well (some would say, better) with XP or even (gasp!! Linux).

WAW8, Aug 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question