Long load times with ctrl-alt-delete

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by morph175, Jun 11, 2011.

1. morph175

morph175

Hello all,
    I recently did a refortmat of my computer because it was acting a bit sluggish. So right now the only thing on my computer is anti-virus software, steam with one video game installed and thats it. For some reason when I load up the computer, after I type in my password to logon, it takes 10-15 minutes to load up to the desktop of windows. Also, whenever I hit CTRL-ALT-DELETE the options appear right away for task manager and etc but when I hit task manager, log out, etc it takes another 10-15 minutes to load up. I know its not the one video game cause ive had it for years. WIndows vista does have service pack 2 installed.
    My computer is a GT5453h
    AMD athlon 64 [email protected] dual core processor 4200+ 2.20ghz
    3.00gb ram
    32 bit OS
    I've never had this problem before. Any ideas as to how to fix it?
    Thanks all

morph175, Jun 11, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. morph175

WAW8

Based on your processor, I would have to guess that your PC is at least three years old -- and maybe older. I'm also guessing that the hard drive is at least that old.

While sluggish response like this CAN indicate infection, if you run your PC behind a local router and have a firewall enabled, that is unlikely.

More likely reasons are (1) serious drive fragmentation, and (2) failing drive.

To check for the second, you need to find out the make and model of the hard drive and then go to the manufacturer's site and see if they have a downloadable drive health checking application -- most of them do. Run that and see what it reports on your drive.

Also, you can Google for Hard Drive Inspector (made by Altrix) and download and install the trial version. It will report on the S.M.A.R.T. characteristics of your drive and tell you how healthy it is.

WAW8, Jun 13, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question