Locked Out

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by thecandide, Aug 15, 2007.

1. thecandide

thecandide

Unable to do Anything

The Admin account is no longer an Administrator

While setting up a computer for a lab, I have become completely unable to change anything requiring an administrator password. I loaded the computer on a domain called "students" and I am logged on using the local account I created when I first went through the setup process, named "Admin". The account I am using is listed a debugger user, and there are no other local accounts.

I am unable to change anything with the windows security logo next to it. When I type in the local account and password it gives me "The requested operation requires elevation" error. My network administrator receives the same message.

Device Manager:

"You do not have sufficient privileges to uninstall devices or change device properties or device drivers. Please contact your site administrator, or log out and log in again as administrator and try again."

Since it no longer recognizes the only local account I have as an administrator account there is no way for me to install or change anything.... Please help me regain the ability to change settings in the control panel.

thecandide, Aug 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. thecandide

tom-tjtech

There is NO way to get Administrative access to a Vista installation without the administrator account password!

So it looks like total re-install (not repair/upgrade) of your installation.

Otherwise any tom-dick-or harry could comprimise your system and MSFt would cry!

You could try safemode (F8 key on boot) and login locally (i.e not as network user)

at the command prompt >WHOAMI /PRIV returns your privileges.

tom-tjtech, Aug 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. thecandide

WAW8

When you install Vista and set up an account, even if you name it "Admin", it is NOT the administrator account. It is a standard user account with the ability (unless turned off) to be elevated, on demand, to admin rights level.

The "real" administrator account is hidden in Vista.

You need to go to Computer Management --> Local users and Groups --> Administrator, and uncheck the Account is disabled box. Then, when you reboot, you will have two user icons, yours ("Admin") and Administrator.

However, as already mentioned, you will need to know the Administrator password to login as the real Admin.

WAW8, Aug 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question