"Local Only" Network Access

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by gundam743, May 27, 2008.

1. gundam743

gundam743

I own a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Vista, bought less than six months ago. Everything has worked well for me so far except one thing: I cannot get internet access on my home network.

I have tried and succeeded in connecting to networks with internet access at different places other than my home. Also, this is not an intermittent problem: from the point I connect, I am only able to get "local only" access. This is so for both wireless and wired connections. I have tried random solutions gathered from the net, including disabling ipv6 and such, but as of yet nothing has worked.

One thing everyone seems to say is that vista has compatability issues with older routers; my router is a westell versalink 327W, and the dslworks fine with my windows xp dell desktop when plugged into that router.

One other thing: I don't have norton on my computer, I have Mcafee, and I have tried connecting with it disabled, but no go; I haven't tried uninstalling it, would that make a difference?

Obviously, my question is: What should I do?

gundam743, May 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. gundam743

W3000x2VHP

Are you still having a problem with this, gundam743?

Can you connect to the router, to administer it?

W3000x2VHP, Aug 18, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question