Local access only after reverting to Vista

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by cwilly8, Feb 2, 2014.

1. cwilly8

cwilly8

Long story. HP Pavilion laptop (model dv9810us) that originally came with Vista (~2008) had been upgraded to W7, and then to W8. It worked fine until last week. Suddenly it would not connect to our wireless. (Nexus tablet and iPod Touch both work fine. Two desktop PCs connected to the router both connect fine.) So I searched for and installed a driver update for the Atheros AR5007 wifi adapter. Something must have become corrupted during the update, because the laptop would go into a continuous reboot cycle - even in Safe Mode.

So, having the original HD (I installed a new HD along with the W7 installation), I put it back into the laptop. Besides having very old software, it works fine - except it has Local Access only to our wireless router. With an ethernet cable plugged into the DSL Modem or the wireless router, it has internet access.

Device manager shows no issues.

Any suggestions on what to try would be appreciated.

cwilly8, Feb 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. cwilly8

cwilly8

Should have mentioned that Vista is SP2. All Windows Updates have been made current since going back to the HD with Vista.

cwilly8, Feb 2, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. cwilly8

cwilly8

Here's a weird thing - after I unplugged the laptop from the wireless router, Voila! I have internet access again. Go figure... Anyway, I can't explain it, but the results are totally acceptable.

cwilly8, Feb 3, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question