Linux-XP Rips of off Vista

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Jason, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason

Jason, Apr 12, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

WAW8

Interesting stuff. There are other collections in much the same vein -- one being something called Ubuntu Ultimate. They all attempt to make Ubuntu look much like Vista.

Unfortunately, they also advertise Windows-compatibility that largely is NOT there -- via WINE (WINdows is Not an Emulator), a Linux package that attempts to establish an infrastructure that will allow windows-native DLL-like functions to run in GNU/Linux.

I used WINE for over six months and found it to be a total waste of time. While their list of "tested" apps appears to be extensive, close examination will reveal that the MS Office apps are no newer than 2003, and anything other than a "mainstream" vendor app is simply not supported. I gave up when, after a dozen different WINE app installations, I simply could not get anything to work!

IF you really want Windows to run in GNU/Linux a much better approach, and one that really works, is virtualization , of which VMWare is one example.

WAW8, Apr 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

PC509

I've been wanting to try a VM of Vista in Linux for my dad, but am worried about performance issues. He have a gaming machine, and wants to play FSX, but wants a Linux OS as the main OS. The only reason he is using Windows is because of FSX. He was a big Windows supported and likes Vista, but it just seems to be too bloated for his taste.

How much success have you had using a VM of Vista. As I understand, the VM can have a dedicated amount of CPU and RAM resources and it runs just as it would as if it were the same spec machine as what you give it. The machine needs lots of RAM and CPU power... But, he has a Core 2 Duo 6600 and 4 GB of RAM.

I use Vista as my main machine (and I love it!) and have Linux as my development webserver (and firewall) and FreeBSD for a NAS... Never really needed *nix for a workstation. I'm wanting to try it out when Ubuntu 8.x comes out of beta (11 days!).

PC509, Apr 13, 2008
  4. Jason

Jason

I believe you can download the beta right now...I can't attest too much to how Vista will perform in a VM but it shouldnt be too bad. Make sure you dedicate 3GB's of ram to just Vista.

Jason, Apr 13, 2008
  5. Jason

WAW8

Haven't used virtualization in Ubuntu; am doing multi-boot which works just fine for me.

Check out the Ubuntu forums for posts by folks that are actually doing this. The more memory you allocated to the Virtual machine, the better it will run.

But when I used Virtual PC some time back, I ran into problems with it sensing the devices properly, especially anything plugged into the USB ports. So now, I just multi-boot.

WAW8, Apr 14, 2008
  6. Jason

quickshade

It's not ripping off Vista. It's making Linux easier to switch to for Window users. They did a fairly good job of it too. But thats not for me. BTW it's based off of Fedora and not Ubuntu. Until people give Linux a chance they won't understand the power of it.

quickshade, Apr 14, 2008
  7. Jason

Alejandrosv

If your are having concerns about performance, you don't need to run the vista on the VM, you can use a xp vm to run fsx. should use less resources.

Alejandrosv, Apr 15, 2008
  8. Jason

Jason

I don't really understand why they are charging money for an Open source OS which uses the the free 3D plugin (can't remember the name).

Jason, Apr 15, 2008
  9. Jason

quickshade

In general when you have opensource software it tends to be free (they go hand in hand most times) but you can still charge for your software, it just has to be opensource. The cost goes towards tech support and the amount of work they had to go through to clone Windows. Many Linux disttros offer features that make it easy to use, but they look nothing like windows. They used some heavy modding to get those features to work like they should.

Some Linux distros charge for a box version but it also comes with a manual and support for something like 90 days.

quickshade, Apr 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question