Laptop Problem..help

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by Jason, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason

Ok, so Im running Windows Xp Pro x64, and windows Vista 5308 on a dual boot just fine for a while, then I finally decide to try and get the PowerNow crap to work in XP pro since it was always running my Turion t 1.6Ghz at 1.6ghz weather it was on battery or not, so I download some drivers, they were for powernow, and I go to restart and it reboots just fine. Then when Im trying to change my power settings it freezes so I have to turn off my computer. Then when I go to turn it back on it just stays on the boot screen w/ the xp logo and the little bar going back and forth forever. It does the same thing If I try to boot up windows vista, and when I try to boot off the xp repair cd, it goes throug identifying all the hardware on the bottom and then it says "Setup is starting windows" and it does nothing after that, just stay theres, nothing else comes up jsut a blue screen. Oh yeah and It wont boot into Safe Mode or Last Known good Configuration, both just hang at the same time.

Help? Is there anyway to rollback cpu drivers? This has me stumped. I really dont want to reinstall my xp pro since I have a lot of stuff on it which I need. Take into mind this is a laptop I am talking a bout here.

Jason, Mar 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

Synapse

Okay, you may need to repair the boot sector. This may kill your Vistam so you'd have to reinstall that, but it'd quite possibly save your XP x64. Boot the XP CD, and enter the recovery console (the 2nd recovery option you see) Wait for it to load, select your partition and enter your pass. Then go through these 2 processes, in order.

FIXMBR - Fix master boot record)

and

FIXBOOT - Fix cingular boot record

That should restore your boot settings, and allow you to boot into one, if not both OS'.

Synapse, Mar 12, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Jason

The problem is I canboot from the XP cd and it goes through loading all that crap like drivers and stuff and then it freezes when it says "starting windows" before the screen comes up where you can choose to repair,install new, or enter recovery console. Thats what makes this so odd and wierd. damn I hope this isnt a hard drive problem.

Jason, Mar 12, 2006
  4. Jason

Synapse

Don't know what to tell ya. Sounds like a boot problem. Try resetting your BIOS settings, that sometimes works.

Synapse, Mar 12, 2006
  5. Jason

Jason

Ya I reset the bios to the default settings as well, no good. Its pretty odd. What puzzles me is why it doesnt even boot off the cd into recovery or repair. If it did that I wouldnt even be asking this right now. It offically cannot boot the vista CD either. I think it may have something to do w/ the cpu drivers. Crap, anyone know a way to roll them back?

Jason, Mar 12, 2006
  6. Jason

Jason

woo hoo! Guess what? I unplugged my battery and now it runs everything fine. What the heck? Computers are wierd sometimes. I feel pretty dumb, but happy at the same time.

Jason, Mar 12, 2006
  7. Jason

Synapse

Must've been a power setting it REALLY didn't like. Try changing it back and putting the battery back in.

Synapse, Mar 12, 2006
  8. Jason

_Venom_

Glad to hear it, I was about to suggest downloading the ubuntu Live cd.

I do recommend that you download it, it's saved my data so many times, very easy to use & helps when you computer is toast.

_Venom_, Mar 13, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question