Laptop Optical Drive (cd/dvd drive ) Does Not Read Any Media (discs)

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by living4us, Oct 8, 2010.

1. living4us

living4us

I have an HP Pavilion d6500 notebook PC with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and is on Service Pack 2. The processor is an AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core. The cd/dvd drive is a TS-L632 and reads & writes cd/dvd/lightscribe.

I am currently experiencing a problem with my optical drive. This issue was noticed within the last week. The last known successful operation using the drve was Sept. 27th when I burned an audio disc. Here are the basics of the issues I am having:

• CD's or DVD's (blank or readable media) are not being read by the drive when inserted.
    • When inserting an audio CD I do get that it reads the number of tracks, but does not give any info about the disk. When clicking an audio file I get an error in WMP that it can't be played in digital mode or analog mode. The audio and video files stored on the internal hard drive, external hard drive and flash drives will play in WMP.
    • Cd's and DVD's with data do not read at all.
    • DVD's will not read at all.
    • Burning programs do not recognize the cd/dvd drive at all and can't be found.
    • Installation discs and other program running discs are not read.
    • Attempt at booting with Vista Installation disc and other bootable discs do not work.

I have tried every "fix" I can find via other forums and through the Microsoft Mr. Fix It.

• I have uninstalled the driver, rebooted and reinstalled. -no luck
    • I removed the drive from the laptop and put back in. -no luck
    • I have updated the BIOS. -no luck
    • I have changed the registry to remove Upper and Lower filters as described elsewhere. -no luck
    • I have uninstalled and reinstalled the burning programs. -no luck
    • I have used the Mr. Fix It through Microsoft for cd/dvd not reading media several times. -no luck
    • I have used system restore to return the system back as far as I could. -no luck
    • I attempted to use System Recovery to return to factory settings via recovery disc, system and during boot- It will not perform one as it can't read the disc nor does it work by pressing f11 during boot. In the recovery manager, it only keeps restarting when attempting.
    • I removed all updates that occured since last successful operation (Sept 27). -nothing
    • I have performed several virus scans. -found nothing
    • I replaced the optical drive today (Oct 7) with a brand new compatable drive. -still not working.
    • After replacing the drive, I attemped most of the fixes above and still no luck.

If anyone has any other fixes I can try or advice, it would be appreciated. Thank you.

living4us, Oct 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. living4us

Ako

I Had The Same Prob But I Tryed My Laptops USB Drive And It Worked!

Hope It Helps :)

Ako, Oct 8, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. living4us

living4us

I was thinking about getting an external drive (or finding someone I know with one) to connect via USB and boot the installation disc. Is that what you are saying?

living4us, Oct 8, 2010
  4. living4us

WAW8

I was going to suggest you get one of those CD/DVD drive "cleaning" kits and try tht. The symptoms you mentioned could all be explained by a dirty lens.

But ... you said you replaced the drive and the new one ALSO does not work.

If it's shown OK in Device Manager, I don't know what else to try.

The external drive will most certainly work, but that doesn't fix your internal drive problem.

WAW8, Oct 8, 2010
  5. living4us

Ako

Yes Thats What I Mean't

Ako, Oct 9, 2010
  6. living4us

djch129

Any thought of doing a disk check ( chkdsk E: f/r ) ?
    E: being your dvd/cd drive. If your machine has different letter for that drive, change it accordingly.

djch129, Oct 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question