laptop died, wont boot. need to reacue some files

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by stelarge, Jul 31, 2011.

1. stelarge

stelarge

Hi, I have s major problem. My HP g70120ea decided to kill itself today with no prior warning. Won't boot past the Vista aura screen. Won't boot into safe mode, and can't find any restoring points. I made two recovery discs when I got the laptop 3 yrs ago. I was prompted to do this when I first got the laptop home. I can get a new SATA 2.5 hd for next to nothing and put it in the laptop. And use the recovery discs to restore the lapyop. Can't I? Then I can get a cable to link the bust SATA drive to the lapyop to get some files off it? A lot was backed up, but not all. And I'd like to get these off the drive. Please can somebody tell me this is possible. Even if it means linking the bust hdd to a desktop pc and using as a slave like I have in the past

stelarge, Jul 31, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. stelarge

clifford_cooley

Hi stelarge - Welcome to vistaforums

What you are asking is possible if the drive is not so badly damaged your files are still intact.

However just because you cannot boot into Windows, does not mean the drive is bad. Using the cable and another computer, you could try rescuing your data. Then perform the restore on the laptop. This might save you from having to buy a new drive. Put it this way, if you are able to retrieve your data chances are the drive is not bad.

Another option would be to purchase a drive enclosure, instead of just a cable. This would give you an external drive, if the drive appears to still be in good condition.

clifford_cooley, Jul 31, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question