Just ran Windows vista adviser....

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by johnmed3, Oct 13, 2008.

1. johnmed3

johnmed3

Just ran Windows vista adviser, and it said my wireless network adapter (atheros wireless) is not compatible. I'm running Vista basic on the laptop and want to upgrade to premium. If my network adapter running fine on basic, why would it not run on premium :unsure: ?

johnmed3, Oct 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. johnmed3

WAW8

Personally not a fan of the Vista advisor -- but don't know of an alternate product that will do the same checking.

Can't think of any reason why a wireless driver that works OK in Home Basic would not also work OK in Home Premium. You might check the atheros site for the latest driver, just to be safe.

When you talk about "upgrading" to Home Premium, you talking about the Windows Anytime Upgrade program? About inserting an Home Premium DVD and attempting to upgrade your current installation? Or about wiping your current installation and replacing it with Home Premium?

WAW8, Oct 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. johnmed3

johnmed3

Yeah just a upgrade from basic. Not a "clean install" I' want to keep all my stuff/files LOL :) .

johnmed3, Oct 13, 2008
  4. johnmed3

WAW8

Well ... OK ... I'm guessing you're going to insert the Vista DVD, try to install Home Premium over your existing Home Basic, and enter a valid Home Premium product key when prompted. Right?

Will be interested in learning how well that goes because, historically, the Vista products would not let you do that. They would only allow in-place "upgrading" to Ultimate, not from one Home version to another.

But, MS keeps changing the landscape, so you never know if something will work until you try it.

WAW8, Oct 14, 2008
  5. johnmed3

johnmed3

That is correct. I' thought you could buy the upgrade DVD and just install it over the previous version.

johnmed3, Oct 14, 2008
  6. johnmed3

WAW8

Well, as I said, historically, the "upgrade" DVD would only let you "upgrade" an existing Vista version to Ultimate; it would not allow other updates. When you buy a DVD, you actually get a bunch of versions, not just one. What you do get is a single product key tied to a specific version.

So, don't be surprised when you try to do the upgrade if you get some error message about that not being possible.

On the other hand, MS keeps changing the rules all the time, so if it's a recent purchase, they might have relaxed the requirements and allow you to upgrade to versions other than Ultimate, now.

WAW8, Oct 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question