Just installed Vista Beta 2 Build 5472.

Discussion in 'Vista News' started by Aranarth, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Aranarth

Aranarth

Vista Beta 2 build 5472 is available now on MSDN as the July CTP.

I just got it to finish the download today and got it burned to a dvd.

The installation did seem faster than previous builds.

Build 5384 had the Glass interface turned off for some reason and I never did figure out how to get it turned back on. Luckily the latest build has the Glass interface turned back on again.

Actual use of Vista with the glass interface does seem to get to around 80%-95% of XP performance in most areas. I beleive a faster video card would show a definite increase in speed as the old Dell I'm using does not have AGP slots so we had to use a bottom line nvidia pci video card (a 5200 IIRC).

So far in testing it appears that some software must be run in with administrative rights. The nicest thing is that if Vista detects a program crash and beleives the software should have been run with higher level of rights it will give you the option to do just that.

Also the compatibility tab (in shortcut properties) has been updated to allow you to set your shortcuts to force administrative rights. This seems to fix many of the more complex software packages we develop. (Either that or I just never noticed the option before...)

For those of you who are apart of MSDN take a look and see if you have access to the latest ctp. You should find it works much better than the old beta 2. (5381/8384)

Aranarth, Jul 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Aranarth

Aranarth

BTW on this craptacular dell (is there any other kind) the processor usage gadget shows a n average usuage of 10% at idle.

Machine is a p4 2ghz machine with 1gig of ram.

It windows vista experience rating is "2".

Aranarth, Jul 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Aranarth

Jason

Sounds good, damn I need to download that.

Jason, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Aranarth

Aranarth

I have to say Jason this is the first time i've managed to get my hands on a new version of vista before you... :w00t:

You're not slipping are you? :D

Aranarth, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Aranarth

Jason

haha, ya I duno. I just havnt found time to upgrade again.

Jason, Jul 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question