Just got a new Linksys router

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by storm, Jul 25, 2007.

1. storm

storm

When I'm going wireless, my laptop says I'm getting 1.0mps. When I'm hardwired here in the office, I suppose I should be getting 100mps (is that really 100x faster than wireless?), but I don't know how to check. Currently our router is in amongst two printers and two computers, while my laptop is about 15 feet away from that whole mess. Can I get speedier Internet if I raise the router above all of those electronics and put it near the ceiling? Thank you.

storm, Jul 25, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. storm

Lie

Generally an unobstructed view towards the router from the device would yield better transfer rate, however it might be better if you could put your laptop nearer the router. Anyway, another important thing is the backend, do your office have a really fast Internet behind the router? If for example, you get a 100Mbps data transfer rate to the router, but the Internet Connection is only 128Kbps, you won't get any faster Internet than what you would get on a 128Kbps connected directly to your laptop. And ask the administrator whether they put a bandwidth limit to each device (sometimes office puts constrains on the bandwidth an individual device can use so individual device won't eat up all the bandwidth the office has).

Lie, Jul 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. storm

WAW8

If you click on the network icon in the task area, go to Network and Sharing Center, click on View Status -- it will tell you the speed your machine negotiated with the router.

If you want real-time network speed monitoring, there's a bunch of apps and gadgets that will do that, but I recently discovered a Linux-based app that works well in Vista -- gkrellm. Google for that, install it, and it will provide real-time monitoring of network speed. If you install SpeedFan, it will also provide real-time CPU usage monitoring.

WAW8, Aug 8, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question