JAVA download problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by evenstephen, Nov 11, 2010.

1. evenstephen

evenstephen

My son just bought a new lap-top (3 weeks past) which uses Vista. He got a JAVA update alert and clicked to download it. AVG caught a virus during the download and contained it in the virus vault. Now he cannot access the web on this laptop. The lap-top now won't connect using wi-fi. He did a back-up/restore with no results. Suggestions?

Thanks!

evenstephen, Nov 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. evenstephen

clifford_cooley

Boot into Safe Mode and use a Restore Point to a time before this occurred. Download and run Malwarebytes to remove the virus.

Just to let you know this "JAVA update alert" was probably a virus asking for you to accept permission for it to install. I have seen these things many times and know not to click any button within the window. In fact if I see a message of this type popup, I usually kill the browser within Task Manager for safe measures.

The next time you see a message of this type find your own links instead of using the links provided. And by all means only download from a known good source. I usually try to find the authors pages and use download links that they give for safe sources.

clifford_cooley, Nov 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. evenstephen

evenstephen

JAVA download

Thanks Clifford---my son has the information. I'll leave follow-up when he gets back to me.

evenstephen, Nov 17, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question