Issues with the Windows Vista Home Premium Edition Fonts Folder

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Oimi, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Oimi

Oimi

<DIV id=post_message_1306194>Could someone please tell me where I can find the font files on my Windows Vista Home Edition DVD?

I have 7000+ fonts installed on my system and want to remove all but the Windows default fonts. I figure that the only way to do this, is to delete every font from the fonts folder and then copy the default Windows fonts back to the fonts folder.

In theory this should be possible, as previously on the Windows XP discs you could restore fonts, I managed it on one occassion.</DIV>

Oimi, Jan 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Oimi

WAW8

It was done previously because the CD contained a bunch of "CAB" files (MS-proprietary compress file format) which you could simply examine and export. The Vista DVD doesn't contain CAB files but instead, has compressed images of the different versions of Vista.

Have you tried using the "install fonts" process and pointing to the Vista DVD drive?

WAW8, Jan 10, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Oimi

Oimi

No, how do I do this?

Oimi, Jan 12, 2008
  4. Oimi

WAW8

You do it by inserting the DVD in the drive, cancelling it if it tried to run or install, launching control panel --> fonts, right-clicking inside the fonts window, choosing Install Font, and then browsing the DVD looking for fonts.

But, you'll only find a handful of fonts used during the boot process, not the full set of Windows fonts.

So, unless you don't really want to use a particular Windows font anymore, I would not uninstall it. There appears to be no simple way to get the fonts back, once you delete them.

WAW8, Jan 13, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question