Issue with my DVD-RW Drive - can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by lavistalaraza, Sep 19, 2010.

1. lavistalaraza

lavistalaraza

Hi there, this is my first ever post on this forum, My name is Dave and I am from the UK. I have a computer running Windows Vista HE but have recently been having problems with my internal DVD-RW (H Drive).

Everything was working fine up until a couple of days ago. I have countless DVD-R discs with files on them from over the years (video files, JPEGS, word files etc etc) and all have been able to be read when inserted on every occasion, that is until a few days ago when I place the discs in the drive and all i hear is an attempting loading sound which quickly gets halted, then it will sound like its revving up again to read, with the same result. All throughout this, no disc is showing as being inserted into my PC under My Computer and the H Drive. For example, in the past when i have inserted a DVD-R disc with files on it i would receive this under My Computer:

DVD RW Drive (H): Data Disc 01012010

but now the disc doesn't fully load up at all, neither does the title of the disc display either. I just get that attempted loading, then failing sound which to be honest sounds very disturbing. With this i also have had issues with ejecting the tray over the last few months and very frequently need to use an extended paperclip to open the tray when i need to put a disc in. Strangely when a disc is already in and i press eject, the tray will open (after afew attempts) but almost everytime when there is no disc in the drive, i need the paperclip.

When i put in CD-R discs however, they have loaded up everytime and played fine, it is just the DVD-R discs which don't want to load, leading me to think that it might not be a read or laser error. I can put in 10 CD-Rs one after the other, get them to load and play fine and then straight after load a DVD-R disc and i am back to the problem. This has become such a frustrating issue which i would love to have help with if possible.

I check out the Event Viewer under My Computer when i insert and attempt to load a DVD-R and i get messages like this (under Windows Logs/System)

The Device \Device\CDRom0, has a bad block (Event ID 7, Source CDRom, Locate ID 2057)

or

The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CDRom0 (Event ID 11, Source CDRom, Locate ID 2057)

BOTH APPEAR WITH RED ICONS NEXT TO THEM IN THE EVENT VIEWER

I also get error message warnings in the event viewer. A very popular one i seem to get getting is as follows: (Errors shown with a yellow icon with a black exclamation point)

An error was detected on device \Device\CDrom0\ during a paging operation

(Event ID 51, Source CDRom, Locate ID 2057)

Can anyone please shed any light, in view if the information above regarding what the problem may be, what might have caused it and how it might be rectified? I have exhausted all my ideas and have already done the following.

Restarted my pc numerous times to no avail
    Performed a CHKDSK upon startup which always halts at 35% (stage 2 of 3)
    Perfomed a System Restore
    Uninstalled the DVD RW Drive in regular and safe mode, restarted my PC and had the same issue
    Used MS Vista's FIX IT troubleshooter which has recognised an issue but hasn't really gone on to explain how i might rectify the problem.

If you could provide any more assistance it would be a massive help and greatly appreciated. I am seriously wracking my brains here.

Hope somebody can help.

Take Care,

Dave
    UK

lavistalaraza, Sep 19, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. lavistalaraza

WAW8

Certainly reads like a hardware problem to me. I believe that in the case of CD/DVD devices, they actually use two different laser heads -- one for CD, the other for DVD. So, there is every reason to believe that CDs can still be read when DVDs can not -- if the DVD laser goes bad.

I don't know if they use different lenses or share the same lens, but you can buy CD/DVD "cleaning kits" for a few dollars. These have a CD-sized disk with protuding plastic threads which purport to clean the laser heads as the disk spins. It's worth thrying that to see if a "cleaning" restores DVD-reading capability.

Also, I would try different kinds of DVDs. You mention DVD-Rs no longer read, so try some RWs and some DVD+R/RW as well -- and a commercial (movie) DVD.

I had an older DVD drive fail to read or write DVD+R/RW but it could read the DVD-R/RW just fine..

WAW8, Sep 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question