Is Vista still rough on Hard Drives?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Alacres, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Alacres

Alacres

Hi everyone, I just recently got a new drive and since I had an copy of VIsta that I received years ago but never used, I figured I would finally put it to use. So far, I've had some issues with my VGA driver that I still haven't fully resolved (as this is on an ASUS laptop that didn't seem to support Vista for this particular model), but aside from that, things seem to be working fine. I had a copy of XP that I could have put on here, but I really like the feel of Vista as it reminds me of 7.

All that said, while I was looking for help on my VGA driver issue, the person attempting to help me made note of my Operating System and said that I should switch back to XP or go to 7 because, and I quote, "Vista will churn your HDD endlessly." I asked him to elaborate on what he meant but he never responded again. After looking into it, I found a few threads that validated what he said, but they were all from 2007 -- I wasn't able to find anything newer than that about it.

So is that just an unjustified rumor or is there some truth to it? I know Vista is a bit more resource intensive than XP, but it is really that much more of a strain on the HDD? And if it is, would turning off the indexing and stuff like that help it?

Anyway, thought I'd ask people that were familiar with Vista about it before I make any decisions on where to go from here. I'm still on the fence about going back to XP (mainly because of this VGA driver issue) but assuming Vista isn't going to put substantially more strain on my HDD, I'd like to try and make it work.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Alacres, Jan 22, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Alacres

Ztruker

Late response, but no, Vista will not trash your hard drive.

Ztruker, Feb 11, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question