Is Ubuntu 7.10 really this slow?

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by Jason, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Jason

Jason

I recently installed a fresh copy of Vista Ultimate and Ubuntu 7.1 on my laptop. (1.6Ghz AMD Turion x64, 1.5GB Ram) Now Vista boots up in under 7 seconds. If I select Ubuntu from GRUB it literally takes about 1 minute for it to reach the login screen. Now I know Vista is incredibly fast at booting even compared to XP, but is Ubuntu really this slow or is it something wrong with my install?

Note: Once I get to the login screen everything is fine and snappy in ubuntu, except for the fact it won't hibernate. (It just eventually sits at a screen w/ a blinking dos like line).

Thoughts? I am thinking about running some benchmark tests on both OS's since they are fresh install, perhaps put a damper on all those gun-hoe linux people.

Note #2: I almost forgot to mention I have Ubuntu installed w/ a root partition of about 20 GB, and another 2GB partition for the swamp.

Jason, Apr 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

PC509

I'm running the beta of Ubuntu 8.04 (final in 4 days). It is actually pretty snappy on a P4 3.0 and 1 GB of RAM. It takes ~20-25 seconds from BIOS to log in screen. And just a few seconds to get to desktop. I have a lot of addons (Compiz Fuzion, etc.) that make it look nice. It has it's uses, but I still use Vista as my main machine, and I'm not giving it up.

I do see a lot of Vista's influence in Ubuntu 8.04. Linux is fun to play with, but it just doesn't have the polish or the usability that Vista has. It always feels like a work in progress or a continuous beta... But, I still really like Ubuntu. A lot of cool stuff to learn with it.

It shouldn't be that slow. Especially with a fresh install.

PC509, Apr 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

WAW8

Shouldn't take that long. Mine takes only a few seconds to reach the login point -- a fraction of the time it takes the Vista OS. I would guess there's something failing during the load that it's retrying over and over. Suggest you post the question on the Ubuntu forums -- I've found folks there to be really helpful.

Hibernation is a known problem, primarily because of the different possible settings in ACPI and the like. There's lots of posts on the Ubuntu forums about tweaks to the boot settings that can affect hibernation. I experimented a lot with mine -- but each machine is different. You can do a topic search on the Ubuntu forums and get lots of posts about hibernation problems.

WAW8, Apr 20, 2008
  4. Jason

Jason

Thanks guys, I'll hit up the Ubuntu forums later on. I do like compiz, it actually renders fairly quick for my integrated graphics.

Jason, Apr 21, 2008
  5. Jason

kingofnexus

I tried out Ubuntu 8.04 a few days ago. I get stuck with the computer not doing anything for about a minute on the load up screen. I get stuck on the splash screen where it says 'Ubuntu 8.04', the laoding bar keeps scrolling across for about a minute, then everything decides to start loading, and the scrolling loading bar turns in a proper loading bar and ubuntu loads up. Minor annoyence yes.

What I found with using Ubuntu 8.04 - I load up to a 'HAL failed to initialize' error and nothing working properly. After looking on the internet, i finally tracked it down to a problem between Ubuntu 8.04 and TV cards. I was told to blacklist TV card modules from loading with no tutorial of how to do so (it for some reason goes without saying to linux peeps, but me coming from Windows has no idea). In the end I figured out how to it myself using the terminal. Although a negative experience, its helped me learn more about how linux works, and how to use the terminal. I might go back to ubuntu later when my exams are finished, but for now i'll stick with windows ;)

kingofnexus, Apr 21, 2008
  6. Jason

Jason

Your problem could have been a beta thing I belive the final is coming out soon.

Jason, Apr 21, 2008
  7. Jason

WAW8

Hardy Heron (Ubuntu 8.04 LTS) came out in RC form last week. Final release is due this Thursday, the 24th.

If your machine has wireless turned on, that can delay the startup while it does its search for networks. I have a laptop running Ubuntu and it takes longer to load than Windows XP -- primarily due to the wireless.

WAW8, Apr 22, 2008
  8. Jason

Jason

Thats interesting, and could be the problem I will try that out.

Jason, Apr 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question