Is there a way to uninitialize a just initialized drive without formatting?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Typhoon859, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Typhoon859

Typhoon859

I initialized the HDD I was using for my PS3 with Disc Management so that Windows can read it when I right away realized that it wasn't such a great idea. Is there any way whatsoever that I can undo that so the PS3 can read it again?

Typhoon859, Dec 20, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Typhoon859

WAW8

There is supposedly a "Restore PS3 system" setting that you can choose which will restore it to the state it was in when you first took it out of the box. You'll need to look for PS3 forums to get the details.

WAW8, Dec 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Typhoon859

Typhoon859

Oh, the point isn't so that I can simply use the drive. When I put the drive back in, because of the fact that I initialized it, the PS3 asks to format the drive so that it can use it. I want to be able to keep all my information that I had on it like the game save files. That's why I'm basically asking if there's a way to uninitialize a drive that Windows initialized OR initialize it somehow for the PS3 without formatting the whole thing.

-I didn't format the drive when I initialized if that's what you guys might be thinking. It would have told me if it was formatting it. I hit initialize and in half of a second, the disk was online, THEN, AFTERWARD, it was asking me to format it to be able to use it but I never did it.

Typhoon859, Dec 21, 2008
  4. Typhoon859

WAW8

Initializing a disk writes (or rewrites, if it already has one) the Master Boot Record (MBR) to the device. It also creates the partition(s) on the disk, creating the file system structure to ready the disk for formatting. When you initialized your disk, you wiped the former file system structure from the drive. However, you didn't actually wipe the file data -- it's still there, just not accessible through any file system.

Technically speaking, to "uninitialize" a drive, you would essentially have to do a low-level format on the drive, removing the MBR and all data structures -- which would totally wipe out everything you have.

Not familiar with how the PS3 formats a drive, but if you reformat it to match what it was originally, unless the format actually wipes files (and formatting generally does NOT do that), you should be able to get your PS3 disk back to what it was originally.

If you want to be safe, you can use some third-party recovery product (like RecoverMyFiles, or GetDataBack) to search your drive for files and copy them to another drive before you do the reformat.

WAW8, Dec 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question