Is it legal to install Vista from another source if you have purchased a CD key?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by BlueBangkokus, Sep 9, 2010.

1. BlueBangkokus

BlueBangkokus

Hello,

some years ago I purchased Windows Vista Business with my laptop computer. Of course, no installation media were given to me, only System Restore partition, as it is now customary (I don't know why but it is).
    The thing is, the hard drive have failed recently. After 3 years, the warranty has of course expired, so I had to buy a new HDD and replace the old one. Now I have no means to install my legally purchased Windows Vista, because I have no installation DVD and the hard drive with rescue partition is done for.
    The laptop is made by Lenovo and they have no support where I could ask, so I am posting it here. I've heard you can get the installation media from your Lenovo vendor, but there's 40 USD charge (why? I have paid for the system already!) and I'd have to take into account considerable delays (my friend had to wait for a month to get his installation media). I neither cannot wait that long nor am I willing to pay again for something that I have legally purchased.
    So the question is - is it legal to download Windows Vista ISO image from a torrent site (without crack), install it and validate using my CD key?

BlueBangkokus, Sep 9, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question