Ipod won't sync to Itunes, Windows Vista related?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by gnfrfan, Aug 24, 2008.

1. gnfrfan

gnfrfan

I've tried asking questions on the Apple Ipod discussion forum but haven't gotten a response or at least one that helps. I just bought a HP Pavillion desktop that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit on it. I also have a laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit as well. The problem I'm having is my Ipod won't sync to Itunes. A lot of times the Ipod doesn't even show up in Itunes. It does show up in Computer as drive j. I've tried changing the drive name but it always goes back to j. My Ipod acts as if it keeps getting disconnected and then reconnecting. It doesn't do this on the laptop, it works perfectly in the laptop. I've looked under Universal Bus Controllers and the Ipod is listed as USB Mass Storage Device. I tried updating drivers and it says it's already current. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers and it still doesn't work. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Itunes and nothing. I've repaired Itunes and still nothing. I've also tried different USB ports and nothing. I've restored the Ipod on the laptop and then tried it with the desktop and it has the same problems it did before. I know microsoft put out a download to fix these issues but when I researched online people said they didn't work. My Windows is up to date so I don't know what to do. Can anyone please help me? This is driving me crazy because the problems I'm having with the Ipod is on my brand new desktop that I just got a few days ago.

gnfrfan, Aug 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. gnfrfan

WAW8

I think that, unfortunately, you're "stuck between a rock and a hard place" here ...

Apple supplies the software for its devices, including the iPod. That software probably works amazingly well on Macs -- surprise!! That same software works poorly at best on Wintel boxes.

I've read about countless problems attempting to use iTunes, Quick Time, and Safari -- but only on Windows boxes, not on Macs.

When folks try to run Windows on a Mac, using parallels or BootCamp, they complain bitterly about MS or Vista, or both. They don't complain about Apple.

Since you said the Apple forums won't, or can't, help you, unless someone here has a "miracle cure", you're probably out of luck.

Sorry.

WAW8, Aug 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. gnfrfan

gnfrfan

Thank-you for responding. I had bought the Ipod a few years ago and have never had a problem with it even when I had XP. I have a fairly new laptop with Vista 64 bit and have no problems with the Ipod and Itunes. Yet I have a desktop with Vista 64 bit just like the laptop but the desktop is having the problems with the Ipod syncing. I would've loved to get a different mp3 player but since the Ipod came out way before the Zune I couldn't buy a Zune at the time. Now my entire library is encrypted in Mac's proprietary (sp?) code and I'm kinda stuck now so if you know of any programs that can convert my library into mp3 so I don't have to make numerous cd's my husband said he would get the program and buy me a Zune because he's sick of the Apple crap. So I was just wondering if anyone had a solution to my problem. Thanks anyway though.

gnfrfan, Aug 24, 2008
  4. gnfrfan

WAW8

Don't have personal experience with doing this conversion.

However, I did find the following link -- perhaps it will help:

[url]http://askbobrankin.com/convert_itunes_to_mp3_format.html [/url]

You'll notice some links on his page to apps that also claim to do the conversion. Again, don't have personal experience but they're probably worth checking out.

WAW8, Aug 24, 2008
  5. gnfrfan

gnfrfan

Thank-you very much for your help!

gnfrfan, Aug 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question