internet problem

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by gabif, Jun 7, 2007.

1. gabif

gabif

I have Vista Home Premium with ASUS P5L-MX motherboard (integrated LAN). My connection is adsl, the modem connect directly to the ethernet card (no router). I have internet connection for 5 or 6 hours with no problem, then my browsers (firefox, ie7) can't load any web pages, my e-mail program can not download any massages, but my torrent client works properly. Windows couldn't repair the connection. After 10-15 minuets there are no problem again. Sometimes I have to restart the browser, but not always.

gabif, Jun 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. gabif

Jason

Probably because your PC is getting hammered with all kinds of internet crap, and constantly having to drop packets/respond to annoymous internet requests.I'd put it behind a router. Much safer.

Jason, Jun 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. gabif

gabif

I've put a router in, but nothing changed. Any other ideas?

When this problem occurs, I still can ping any ip address, but I can not connect to any web pages, not even to the router.

gabif, Jun 29, 2007
  4. gabif

WAW8

Has this problem been happening all along, or is it something new?

Does it always take several hours or does it sometimes start sooner?

Next time it happens, open a command window and type "ipconfig /all" (without the quote marks). Look for your IP address and scroll down to see if you have DNS addresses. If you suddenly have a local address and/or if your DNS addresses are gone, you're having problems with your ISP dropping service.

WAW8, Jul 3, 2007
  5. gabif

cyclic

This sounds like it might be an ISP throttling due to your using a torrent client, try using utorrent and using the preferences dialogue to use encypted outward connections, or it might be a simple DNS cache problem where you need to release the cache or increase it's size (torrents will continue to work especially if as most do now it uses DHT so the tracking of DNS's is redundant). The best way to sort out your possible DNS cache being choked is to download 'tweakvista' basic which is free and has allsorts of good tweaks besides being able to sort out your DNS cache size (in case you didn't know the DNS cache keeps arecoed of every URL you ever visit but it has a size limit, this utility can either free up the cache by releasing all the URL's or simply increasing the size allowed, either way you can be sure the problem is not at your end), oh yes you'll need a clicky thing for the download if you want it, personally I would advise getting it even if you don't want it for this reason, there are plenty of other things it can do which saves you from ahving to delve into the registry to tune things up.

Clicky

cyclic, Jul 3, 2007
  6. gabif

gabif

Thanks for your help, but I found out that this is a windows vista bug, and there are a hotfix for that here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937168/en-us

This issue may occur because of a bug in the WinSock bind() function.

This hotfix have to be asked by phone from microsoft, so they send you if you really need it. But from the following link you can download directly:

for vista 64bit:

http://thehotfixshare.net/download/...utral/Vista/&file=Windows6.0-KB937168-x64.msu

for vista 32bit:

http://thehotfixshare.net/download/...utral/Vista/&file=Windows6.0-KB937168-x86.msu

It's works perfectly!

So thanks again!

gabif, Jul 5, 2007
  7. gabif

Jason

Interesting. Good Find.

Jason, Jul 5, 2007
  8. gabif

WAW8

Thanks for the tip on the hotfix site -- but I guess you must have missed the request on the site to not link directly to hotfixes:

"Please do not link directly to the hotfix`s from other websites, instead you can link to the main page http://thehotfixshare.net/"

So, to anyone else going to the site, please go to the main site, select the Download Archive under Site Navigation, scroll to the bottom of the page, and enter 937168 in the search box. That will open another page that will provide the two file download links.

WAW8, Jul 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question