Internet Dropout at 5:00 pm Daily

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by 5alarm, Jan 29, 2008.

1. 5alarm

5alarm

I have a new Vista machine that replaced an XP. I'm having a very strange problem that nobody at Verizon can help with. DSL works fine until 5:00 pm every day. At 5:00 pm the connection is lost and I can only get the Windows Explorer Page Not Found message.
    Is there some kind of security setting in Vista that is automatically putting this computer in lockdown at 5:00 pm?
    Thanks for any help!

5alarm, Jan 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. 5alarm

WAW8

You're saying "lockdown" but is Internet access the only thing being shutoff at 5:00 PM? Is any other network access being denied as well? Do you have an email service you can check?

As an experiment, try the following:

1) Next time it gets close to 5:00 PM, change your machine Date and Time to set it back one hour (i.e., from 4:nn PM to 3:nn PM).

2) When the local time hits 5:00 (but your machine only says 4:00), see if the Internet shuts down. If it does, then it's related in some way to your ISP. (I don't care if Verizon denies it. I was a beta tester for their DSL service back in the days when they were Bell Atlantic, and once support got out of the beta support group into the "regular" support group, it turned to crap.)

3) When the local time hits 6:00, see if the Internet shuts down now. If it does, then it's some locally scheduled background task -- because your machine thinks it's 5:00.

Let us know what happens.

WAW8, Jan 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question