Internet Connectivity Problem

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by ibaunited, Jan 2, 2009.

1. ibaunited

ibaunited

Hi. I am using Vista Home Premium SP1 and having problems in internet connectivity. I have been using internet on the same laptop for some time but now i have shifted to a new place and when i connect the LAN cable, it shows two connections - "Unidentified Network" and "Network 5". I am able to connect to other PCs on the network but my internet simply doesn't work.

I restored my system to 5 days ago after which it did connect to internet and showed only "Network 5". But next day the same problem popped out. Two networks, LAN connectivity but no internet connectivity. I tried deleting all other network besides Network 5, but this unidentified network keeps showing up.

There is no such problem on the PC of my friend using the same OS. Kindly let me know what could be the problem and how can i get rid of it once and for all?

Thanks

ibaunited, Jan 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. ibaunited

deonjahy

So when you try to open a web browser it is not connecting right? If so then try using the network diagnostic tool that comes with windows vista. you can do that by either clicking "diagnose connection problems" when the error window pops up in internet explorer or by right clicking the network icon in your taskbar and then selecting "diagnose and repair" if that doesent work then post the exact error message windows gives you and i will help you further. Also when you connect to your modem directly with a lan cable you will get the unidentified network connection until you name that network. Also if you are running VMware workstation or another virtualization program you will see the same "unidentified Network"

deonjahy, Jan 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. ibaunited

ibaunited

thanks fo your reponse. yes my internet is not working though there is no problem with the LAN as i can share files successfully. I used 'diagnose and repair' and it says that there are more than one active connections. my bluetooth and wiresless are disabled, but i think it refers to Network 5 and Unidentified Connections both running at the same time. both show similar properties. if i disable any one of thesein 'network and sharing center', the other too does off and my LAN is disabled.

So as soon as i plug the cable in and enable LAN, both connections reappear. A few days ago i ran wireless connection on my laptop beofre which i had no such problems, this may be a reason but then again, my wireless is disabled anyway.

Does this clarify the problem?

ibaunited, Jan 3, 2009
  4. ibaunited

WingMan63

I SOLVED THE EXACT SAME ISSUE!!!

I realize you posted your problem a couple of months ago, but maybe you still need help, or someone else who does, comes across this. After trying everything I could find, I came across a link that suggested editing the registry to disable something involving "broadcast flags", due to routers not being able to deal with Vista. This did not solve my problem. But, in the registry, I noticed something that looked odd, and compared it to my laptop's XP registry, and it made sense. Why it happens, I don't know, but the part of the registry the link led me to had a key for "DefaultGateway", which had a value of 192.168.5.225(my pc's static ip....I have DHCP turned off...this, I'm sure doesn't matter) AND it also had in the same key a value of 192.168.5.2......which is the actual default gateway for my configuration, and as it turns out (by comparing to my XP laptop) should be the ONLY value there!

Hit start, in the "start search" box type "regedit"....

You'll now have regedit as a "program" you can access.....

Then navigate to here....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\

My Vista machine has 3 {GUID}'s there, my XP laptop has 6.....click each one, until you find the one that has your IP Address listed and in there, find the key "DefaultGateway".....

Does it show more than one value? If so, double-click DefaultGateway and delete what probably is your FULL IP Address and leave only your default gateway.

This has me running (even after reboots......heard that was an issue too, somewhere) ever since!

(about 2 hours...LOL)

I say that, cuz I don't how this happened, or if it'll happen again!!

Hope this helps somebody, somewhere....cuz I know the feeling!!! (Took me 7 hours to solve this!! GRRRR!!)

OH Yeah, laptops have wireless and ethernet, and new MB's have 2 NIC's (ethernet adapters), so you'll probably wanna check all your {GUID}'s that have an IP Address listed, to make sure they're all in order....just a thought (Mine only had the one)

WingMan63, Mar 13, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question