Internet Connectivity (Or Lack Of)

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Angus MacFootball, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

I installed the Beta 2 DVD Monday night, and haven't been able to connect to the internet since. I updated my ethernet card driver, got a new card (Linksys LNE100TX)when that didn't work (I'm running a Dell Dimension 8200 that's a dinosaur by today's standards; I thought a newer card might help). Still, no luck. I have a one-way cable modem that does appear to be working properly, but Vista won't talk to it. I get the occasional message that "there is an IP conflict with another system on the network", but I'm the only system on the network.

Any ideas?

Angus MacFootball, Jun 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Angus MacFootball

Jason

When you boot up vista, Hit "Windows Key" + "R" and that will bring up the run screen, type "cmd" then in that screen type "IpConfig" see what comes up, if it comes up w/ an IP address etc.. post up what it says here.

You can then try typing "Ipconfig /release" , to drop your current IP then type "Ipconfig /Renew" to get a new one. After that you can try going on the web again. This should give you a new ip which shouldnt conflict w/ anything. Even if you are the only one on the network.

Also are you using a router of sorts?

Jason, Jun 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home from work tonight; if you don't hear from me until tomorrow morning, then it didn't work :)

No router. I have a one-way cable setup: cable into the cable modem, which is attached to a 56kbs modem for uploads. I attach to the cable modem with my ethernet cable.

Angus MacFootball, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

Obviously, I had no luck. When I tried the release command, the message was something similar to (I wrote everything down, but of course left the note at home) "This command requires elevation". The renew command did change the numbers, but still no luck connecting.

Angus MacFootball, Jun 22, 2006
  5. Angus MacFootball

Jason

Tried reseting the modem, unpluggin/pluggin the ethernet cable into the computer, allow vista to search for driver for that card in device manager?

Jason, Jun 22, 2006
  6. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

Did all that several times. *sigh* Guess I'll keep playing with it 'til I figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Angus MacFootball, Jun 22, 2006
  7. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

An update and a question.

I'd been meaning to get a new hard drive for a while, so I installed a new one as my primary drive, and installed XP and all of my old programs. I used the old drive as a second drive, and reinstalled Vista on that drive. I'm able to connect to the internet as usual with XP, but continue to have the same problem with Vista.

Again, my setup is thus: I connect directly to my cable modem with my ethernet cable. But it's suggested on the MS Vista help pages that there should be an ethernet router between my box and my modem. It's obviously not necessary if I connect with XP, but do you think it would solve my connectivity problem with Vista?

Angus MacFootball, Jun 28, 2006
  8. Angus MacFootball

Jason

One thing you can try is going into XP,

Going to control panel, network connecitons, right click your connection which is working and in that scroll box find tcp/ip highlight it and hit "properties". Copy all those settings from there, like IP address, subnet etc... Write them down on a paper, then go into vista and navigate to network settings, and there is a thing on the left side of the screen which says manage network connection, its very similiar to xp but find ipv5, and double click it and copy the settings you had in xp to that.

Might work. If vista is having a hard time auto configuring.

Jason, Jun 28, 2006
  9. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

Thanks, Jason. I'll give that a shot tonight and let you know.

10. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

Woohoo! I went out and got a LinksysWRT54G Wireless router tonight, and after 2 or so hours of trying to configure it, finally got connected to the internet on XP. I booted into Vista, and Yeah! That's where I'm posting from now. The first thing I did was activate the OS, then I hit the feedback button to let MS know about the problems I've been having (I'm still waiting for the 744MB file to upload to Redmond, heh.) Thanks to everyone who suggested a solution. Now I can play with Vista and find out what all the fuss is about.

11. Angus MacFootball

Jason

Nice! Glad you fixed the problem. Thats a nice router and prolly the same exact one I have. Its cool because you can flash the firmware w/ new linux firmware since its open source. That is if its not the v5.0 which my was no I couldnt do it.

Read up: http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3562391

Its neat you can turn your $60 router into a $600 one.

Jason, Jun 29, 2006
  12. Angus MacFootball

kaixadelta

congrats

kaixadelta, Jul 2, 2006
  13. Angus MacFootball

southern_yid

I can not get my vista to detect my wireless router. I have created a second partition to install my Vista, which works a treat, but it does not pick up my USB drivers for my wireless dongle. I too have a netgear but am getting annoyed that I have to use a 'wired' connection in vista, but a 'wireless' connection in XP. Any suggestions?

southern_yid, Jul 2, 2006
  14. Angus MacFootball

Angus MacFootball

Did you try updating the firmware on your router? It seemed to help me when I was having problems. Visit the manufacturer's site and see if there's an update available.

Angus MacFootball, Jul 4, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question