Internet Connection plus USB Printer Problem

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by taya74, Mar 30, 2008.

1. taya74

taya74

I have a Dimension E520 Dell Desktop with Wireless broadband router which worked perfectly up to 3 months ago. My email and Internet will suddenly stop working (every 2 days), whether at the time I am surfing the net or have been away from my desk for a while. But I can still ping, it still tells me I am still connected etc etc, I have tried different browsers, FTP Programs etc but won't work. I have also just noticed my printer which is directly connected to my computer by USB also doesn't work when I can't connect to the internet.

The only way to fix it is to restart my computer.

I also have a laptop, when I have this problem on my desktop, I can still connect to the internet on that plus see my Desktop in the Network Neighbourhood but not the other way around.

I have tried the following (I have probably forgotten a few):

Resetting my modem, leaving it or my computer off at night.
    Reinstalling my modem drivers
    Using my old broadband (non-wireless) modem which is connected to my computer with the blue cord
    Updating my BIOS drivers
    Updating my Intel 82562V 10/100 Platform drivers (since updatingvarious drivers I now have the problem once a day instead of once every 2nd day - don't know if this means anything)
    My power management is on the Maximum Power one
    Disabling Auto-Tuning
    Uninstalled my Anti-Virus (CA)
    I reinstalled the Vista files (not formatted though)
    Clicked the Diagnose and Repair button

A TCP/IP address is obtained automatically and the DNS is Automatic from ISP. I have WPA2 security and password protected.

I thought the fact my printer also doesn't work at this time as well (it is connected via USB cable) mightnarrow the problem down a bit??

taya74, Mar 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. taya74

Jason

I want to say that the USB problem is unrelated since that would be very odd. Either way try turning off IPV6, as shown here: https://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic13955-45-1.aspx. Also when you lose internet connectivity copy/past what comes up when you type "Ipconfig /all" into the cmd prompt. Also past in what comes up when you are not having the problem.

Jason

Jason, Mar 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. taya74

taya74

I have disabled IPv6. I noticed itinstantly brought on the sameinternet problem (ie all mysettings say I am connected, I am can ping but can't access the Internet or email), but once I restartedmy computer again, I can now access the Internet without the IPv6.

Will see if that works (can take 1 - 2 days for the problem to occur). Have also taken a print screen (couldn't copy and paste) of the IPCONFIG settings and will compare if the problem occurs again.

Thanks

taya74, Mar 30, 2008
  4. taya74

taya74

I still have the problem, it does seem to take longer to occur once I unticked TCP/IPv6 but it still occurred. I also had the same printer problem at the same time which both were fixed once I restarted my computer.

taya74, Apr 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question