Intallation

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by JEFF07, Feb 3, 2007.

1. JEFF07

JEFF07

Hello

I,m ready to jump into vista. But I have a couple of questions that I need to be sure before I take the leap. I have WINXP pro on my local C:\ drive and I was wondering is Vista will let me dual boot if i need to go back to XP. Also I have another drive on my pc with 156 gig of space, in this drive i have many files that I need. Can I install vista on this secondary drive? will the installation erase all my data on this partition?. Awesome place to get info. Keep it up and Ill wait for your comments. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Jeff07

JEFF07, Feb 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. JEFF07

Jason

Depending on if that larger drive is formatted or not you may lose your data when you install vista on it. But it is very possible to dual boot vista. I suggest you copy your data off that larger drive on to some other temporary computer or media. Then install vista onto that drive and when vista is installing it will automatically detect xp on your other partition and allow you to choose which to boot up when your first turn your pc on (Vista or XP). Then once vista has installed onto that drive copy your data back over. This is what I suggest to prevent any possible dataloss. You could always risk it but I'm not sure if vista requires a completely formatted disk to install or not. If it doesnt you may be able to install onto that larger drive and not need to move your data but I am not sure.

Hope this helps.

Jason, Feb 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. JEFF07

felix

hey... i need some help. I installed vista.. upgraded from xp but of course im having a few issues with the upgrade, sounds not working properly, drivers not compatible etc. I have a tonne of stuff on this computer i really need - documents & mp3's mainly. Can i create a new partition (which program do you recommend) then just send them to that new partition then do a clean install of vista on my main drive leaving all the files in the partition in tact? does that work? are there any known issues with doing something like this.. and again.. what program should i use? partition magic?

felix, Feb 11, 2007
  4. JEFF07

blackhat

partition magic, or paragon partition manager.

you can also resize the partitions

but I doubt they will work on vista

blackhat, Feb 11, 2007
  5. JEFF07

VistaRocks

If i recall correctly you can create a partition to install VISTA on using the disk.

VistaRocks, Feb 11, 2007
  6. JEFF07

WAW8

Jeff07:

Hope this isn't too late ...

When doing a clean install of Vista, especially in a dual-boot with XP situation, be sure to format the Vista partition using Vista, not XP. You do that by booting from the DVD, choosing custom installation, and when you get to the partition selection screen, select the partition, click New, and then click Format for that partition.

I did a dual-boot clean install after formatting the partition in XP and had no end of data corruption problems. After redoing the format in Vista and installing again, have not had a repeat of the problems. Have read that the "NTFS" that Vista uses is different from the "NTFS" that XP uses -- but don't know any details.

Good luck

WAW8, Feb 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question