Installing XP

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by craigs99, Nov 24, 2007.

1. craigs99

craigs99

I just got a new PC with Vista and I absolutely hate it.:crazy: I am tired of confirming every ation I take and my internet connect randomly drops and requires a reboot. I am not impressed with the new features - at least not enough to tolerate all the extra "security".

I want to install XP. I understand I need to reformat my hard drive, but since I have only had the computer a couple of weeks, it's no big deal.

My question is, do I need to buy XP? I assume that the installation procedure will ask for a product key. Can I use the vista key?

Thanks.

craigs99, Nov 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. craigs99

faust1200

All those security questions can be disabled by turning off UAC (user access control) Control panel-users-turn user account control on or off.

But yes XP is a separate thing so you will would have to purchase it separate from Vista. But I wouldn't necessarily give up on Vista yet. Any OS (in my experience) takes some tweaking and time to getting it where you want it.

faust1200, Nov 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. craigs99

cyclic

Before deciding to install XP you need to ensure that a new PC will be supported by it, some new hardware only has Vista support so if you just install XP without some research first you might find some hardware just wont work.

As the previous poster implied, dont condemn Vista just yet turning UAC off will stop all the confirmation dialogues appearing and any other minor ailments can soon be put right, if you search these forums for your network problem for instance you will find possible causes and fixes, failing that if you post as much detail as you can about your system spec. and the problem you're having there are plenty of people here who will gladly help you resolve it.

cyclic, Nov 25, 2007
  4. craigs99

Walker

Ready your knives and forks moderators. Another person needs help :)

Walker, Nov 26, 2007
  5. craigs99

WAW8

Since your machine came preinstalled with Vista, in undoubtedly has an OEM license; the question is, whether or not it is one of the BIOS-locked licenses. If it is, there is an outside chance that an over-the-counter XP OEM license will not work. If that's true, you will have to purchase a full retail version of XP, which, last time I checked, was around $300.

However, purchasing XP is not going to be the problem -- tracking down all the drivers you will need IS. You will need to determine the motherboard manufacturer and model in order to obtain the chipset drivers. You will need to research the make and model of every hardware option in order to track down those drivers. If your machine is using a SATA hard drive, you will most probably have to track down those drivers and load them to diskette -- before attempting to install XP; otherwise, XP will complain that it will not be able to find any hard drives.

Installing an OS from scratch, complete with all the device drivers, is not a trivial task. As one of the Moderators says here in his tagline: Sometimes, it really is rocket science. So, if you run into trouble, good luck!! Not to sound unsupportive, but this is the Vista forum; not the blow-Vista-away-and-reinstall-XP forum. We have our hands full attempting to help the Vista folks with problems; we don't have the resources to support the much larger XP community as well.

WAW8, Nov 26, 2007
  6. craigs99

craigs99

Thanks to everyone for the input.The PC included a CD with XP drivers on it. However, I can not justify spending $300 (or even $100) for an OS to put on a computer that I only paid $299 for. I turned off UAC so I will try to live with it for now.

thanks again

craigs99, Nov 27, 2007
  7. craigs99

cyclic

I think you will find it grows on you faster than you might think, I hope so for you.

cyclic, Nov 28, 2007
  8. craigs99

WAW8

Far be from me to suggest this, after all, this is the "Vista Forum" -- but if you really do "absolutely hate" Vista (especially given your net connection problems), why not look into returning the PC and getting one with XP instead?

I don't know where you could buy such a machine, so I can't give you any specific suggestions, but there have to be vendors out there still selling PCs with XP. You'll just have to do a lot of googling to find one.

WAW8, Nov 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question