Installing Windows Vista on new motherboard (but same model motherboard)

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Bytor, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Bytor

Bytor

Hello all,

I have been going through some major computer troubles lately but I'll keep this short.

My computer was running great for over a month but then I started having troubles about 2 weeks ago. The system would not consistently boot up. The LED light on the motherboard would light up and when I pressed the power button on the system the cooling fans would run but I got the dreaded double dash on the motherboard display. The system would not boot.

I replaced the motherboard thinking that was the problem (EVGA nividia 680i). Iinstalled an identicalEVGA motherboard butgot the exact same response from the system--would notboot up.

Nextchanged out the CPU, againan identical E6600: Stillthe same problem.

Finally I tested the power supply and determined that was the problem. I had an Ultra 700W unit that was not working properly. I replaced itwith an OCZ gameXstream 1010W system and VOILA! the system is booting again!!

Here is my problem andquestion....how can I get VISTA to work with the new motherboard? Again, I installed an identical EVGA MOBO. When the system boots Itried installing the Windows recovery CD and I re-entered the validation code but then the system cant find the driver.

Anyone gone through this and know how to get VISTA to work? VISTA worked great on my system before the PSU woes.

Thanks in advance for any help/responses.

Bytor, Jul 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Bytor

cyclic

Can you provide a bit more detail ? when you say after entering the validation code it cannot find the driver, which driver is it not able to find ? is there an error message of some sort, I don't seem to be able to make sense of what's happening, you said it booted again.........and then what ? wouldn't load Vista or BSOD or asked for keycode or something, if this is an OEM copy then swaping out the exact Mobo and CPU can still cause the system to generate a different hardware hash (just on say a chipset revision number) which would prevent Vista from working with anything other than the original hardware.

cyclic, Jul 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question