Installing Windows Vista oem

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by hewjr1000, Oct 23, 2010.

1. hewjr1000

hewjr1000

I have an Hp Dv6308nr Laptop with 1Gb Ram 120Gb Hdd dual core amd Turion etc etc...

I would like to purchase windows Vista or Windows 7 oem, and do a clean install..

Do not want to restore to factory...do not need all the crapware or Hp specific software.

Besides system and software is out of warranty and support anyway.

My question is this, will the oem install and activate, or will I have problems.

Henry

hewjr1000, Oct 23, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. hewjr1000

WAW8

MS has changed the rules for OEM versions of Win7 such that their licensing is not the same as with Vista. Problem is that your box has the licensing locked with the BIOS, so the HP-supplied OEM version will activate without you having to do anything.

But if you install a different version, as long as you have a valid Key, you SHOULD be able to license it without problems.

IF you have an external drive or somewhere else to store an image of your current install, you should Google for Macrium Reflect, go to their site and download their free version, install it on your HP, and use it to do an image backup of your install. While still in Macrium, create and burn a boot CD.

This way, if anything goes seriously wrong, you will be able to boot from that CD and restore your current install.

WAW8, Oct 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. hewjr1000

hewjr1000

Thanks for your input. The reason I asked was because I read abou licensing changes.

3 years ago I got suckered by Newegg, bought an oem version of Vista, and naturally it would not activate, with key on oem package. Since I opened the package it was not possible to return to Newegg.

So hopefully this has changed, and the same scenario will not repeat itself.

Again, thank you very much for your reply.

Henry

hewjr1000, Oct 25, 2010
  4. hewjr1000

WAW8

Unfortunately, since I monitor a Win7 forum as well, the recent posts there from folks indicating that their supposedly valid Win7 installs were suddenly deactivated has shown that this "same scenario" is repeating itself with Win7.

The usual indicator that something is a scam (seems to be most prevalent on eBay) is that the price is way too low. What folks discover later, is that they bought a previous-owned MSDN-licensed version and, eventually, MS learns about all these compromised keys and blacklists them. At some later date, when your PC routinely re-checks validation, it will learn that its key has been blacklisted and will then deactivate itself.

WAW8, Oct 25, 2010
  5. hewjr1000

hewjr1000

Thanks for the heads-up.

I guess if and when I need to i'll have to use recovery DVD

Henry

hewjr1000, Oct 25, 2010
  6. hewjr1000

clifford_cooley

Here is a relevant thread on a Windows 7 Forum that I am part of.

http://www.w7forums.com/copy-windows-7-not-genuine-t7848.html

I usually wouldn't link to another forum. I'm not trying to divert traffic, I'm simply adding merit to the conversation. eBay is a poor place to purchase windows licensing.

I have also heard stories about newly purchased copies not activating because someone had already used a key generator and used up all the activations. This scenario would invalidate a legitimate key before it was ever purchased.

clifford_cooley, Oct 25, 2010
  7. hewjr1000

hewjr1000

Well apparently, MS needs to do someting, especially if you go to your local best buy or staples and purchase a retail package with a dead key.

It seems the harder they make software to install, the easier crooks hack it, and it follows that the honest consumer gets it in the back.

Henry

hewjr1000, Oct 25, 2010
  8. hewjr1000

WAW8

Actually, they ARE doing something ...

When I had to reinstall Vista due to a serious problem with the first install, I contacted MS about getting an upgrade DVD. They phoned me and asked me some questions about my DVD -- questions that could only be answered properly if you have a legitimate DVD. MS is doing a lot to ensure that the actual DVD media (disk) is extremely difficult (read that COSTLY) to fake.

Also, if your legit copy gets deactivated, they have established a set of 800 numbers you can call which, in most cases, allow you to reactivate your PC with a simple phone call, and in other cases, allow you to discuss your situation with a Support Rep.

And while I agree that "false positives" are annoying (I got caught by one myself!), I also understand that no validation system is foolproof and they need to do something to protect their intellectual property from widescale theft.

WAW8, Oct 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question