Installing Vista to D: killed my C:\Windows Dir... ???

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by glennn.php, Jun 11, 2007.

1. glennn.php

glennn.php

i've run multiboot <SPAN id=Mark style="COLOR: #ee6600; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow">Vista</SPAN> / XP successfully before;

I attempted to install <SPAN id=Mark style="COLOR: #ee6600; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow">Vista</SPAN> 5744 on my slave HD (D:\) with XP on Master (which was partitioned C:\ and E:\) - when i rebooted i had a "missing hal.dll" which turned out to be an EMPTY System32 folder ...

I've formatted C: (the whole Master) and have a good install of XP - now i've formatted Slave D:\, but am afraid to install <SPAN id=Mark style="COLOR: #ee6600; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow">Vista</SPAN> there again for obvious reasons.

Does anyone have an idea why that <SPAN id=Mark style="COLOR: #ee6600; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow">Vista</SPAN> install would have killed my C System32, and / or any advice on a second attempt?

Please? :eek:)

Regards,

glennn.php

glennn.php, Jun 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. glennn.php

WAW8

I've double- (and triple-) installed Vista numerous time with other OS's already present and never had it corrupt any existing OS -- so I don't know why it did yours.

If I had to guess, it would be that during install, the drive letters were different and you installed Vista to the XP partition, but if that really happened, you would have wiped out XP and Vista would have launched upon reboot.

IF you're really concerned about it happening again, I would suggest the following (warning, this involves some extra work):

1) Physically disconnect the XP drive

2) Change the BIOS to boot from the (to-be) Vista drive

3) Install Vista from DVD

4) Boot into Vista to confirm it works

5) Reconnect the XP drive

6) Check the BIOS to confirm that you will still boot from the Vista drive

7) Download and install either EasyBCD or VistaBootPro to your Vista installation

8) Launch one or the other to see how to add XP to your OS selection list

9) Presto -- double-boot system with no corruption of XP or Vista

WAW8, Jun 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. glennn.php

cyclic

"Does anyone have an idea why that <SPAN id=Mark style="COLOR: #ee6600; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow">Vista</SPAN> install would have killed my C System32"

This will have been down to a dodgy data cable or corrupt media on the HDD (bad clusters) or a possible DVD read error\memory failure, or a problematic partition table, there is no reason why installing Vista would cause that to happen and I very much doubt that it did, regardless though my colleagues suggestions are well founded and I would recommend the method described for any 'misbehavin' installations.

I am I suppose fortunate in that my BIOS has it's own boot menu allowing me to boot to any drive by pressing F7 during POST, I always employ that method purely out of sheer laziness for having to sort out multiple partitions and boot orders in BCD edit or other utility which can be a very non straight forward operation for the experienced users, I think all BIOS' should have it and most of the ASUS employed ones do from about 4 years back, you might try looking for an update to your BIOS code to see if there are any advanced features been added.

cyclic, Jun 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question